Flat black anybody?

• DoubleDub
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
06 Jul 2006 18:47 #59773 by DoubleDub
Flat black anybody? was created by DoubleDub
I've been thinking about the paint job on my kz900 once I get it running right again, and I'd really like to paint it a flat or dull black. Has anyone tried this or seen anything like this? Is it just a pipe dream?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2006 19:20 #59783 by EddieBoy
Replied by EddieBoy on topic Flat black anybody?
i love my flat black...

More
06 Jul 2006 19:39 #59791 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Flat black anybody?
Another option is just painting it gloss black. Whithin about a yr it will magically turn to flat black. Like getting 2 paintjobs for the price of 1. :pinch:
Sorry, I'll regress to my promise to never complain about repaints after this one last time.:)

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
07 Jul 2006 10:10 #59956 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic Flat black anybody?
My dragbike has been flat black for 1 1/2 seasons now.Paint doesn't make it any quicker and the money saved buying rattle can paint has gone for valves,tires,camchains,valve springs,gaskets, etc. etc. I didn't plan it that way, but that's the way it is.I'll get a proper paint job on soon enough but most evryone likes the flat black primer hot rod look.

79 KZ 1075 MKll
79 KZ 1500 MKll dragbike
Gone but not forgotten:
3 X 73 Z1's
1 X 74 Z1A
1 X 75 Z1B
Attachments:

More
07 Jul 2006 12:48 #60005 by creedmiller
Replied by creedmiller on topic Flat black anybody?
I agree with jack I painted the tail and side covers of my 650 flat black. I'd rather spend the money on performance than pretty paint.

Post edited by: creedmiller, at: 2006/07/07 15:51
Attachments:

• DoubleDub
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
07 Jul 2006 14:36 #60029 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic Flat black anybody?
Did you all just use a flat black primer? Or is there some protective coating that maintains the "flatness" the you sprayed over the paint?

More
09 Jul 2006 17:49 #60568 by Fossil
Replied by Fossil on topic Flat black anybody?
I've been thinking I would like to paint my spare body work satin black with a stock sticker kit. I used Duplicolor low gloss black engine enamel with ceramic on my engine and it has stood up quite well to gas, oil and heat etc. I also like the satin finish and will probably go with the same paint on the body.

More
09 Jul 2006 17:57 #60569 by EddieBoy
Replied by EddieBoy on topic Flat black anybody?
i use dupli color engine enamel..low gloss black. i heat the tank and between coats with a heat gun. then top it off with the same in clear. it will get hard enuff you cant scratch it. i have also used dupli-color auto touch-up cans the same way...many colors to chose from. oh and by the way Testors model car spray paint works great on plastic parts like side covers and stuff. it wont peel off or crack like regular paint on smooth plastics.

this is just the stuff i do. no warranty implied:)

More
09 Jul 2006 20:39 #60624 by mykznme
Replied by mykznme on topic Flat black anybody?
not that it means anything but in my opinion single color bikes are boring and takes away the natural lines of the bike.
the only way i would paint MY bike single color is if its a bare bones go getter.
not to take away from anybodies rides but you need contrast to color. wether it be chrome,polished alum. or secondary colors.

R.I.P. Odd Ivar

More
10 Jul 2006 19:43 #60935 by dan76kz900
Replied by dan76kz900 on topic Flat black anybody?
There is a epoxy primer that is flat black.. and you could put a clear coat over it to prevent oxidation - so it'll last a long time like a regular car paint job.

More
10 Jul 2006 20:22 #60950 by vic44139
Replied by vic44139 on topic Flat black anybody?
Flat black..."Do it"..."Do it". Use black ceramic engine heat paint. It's the shitz. :laugh:

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
More
11 Jul 2006 00:05 #60996 by guitargeek
Replied by guitargeek on topic Flat black anybody?
I've been using satin black on a number of things. It's not glossy, but it's also not quite like a chalk board either.

1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"