KZ200 exhaust road rash

More
02 Nov 2014 21:58 - 02 Nov 2014 22:06 #652703 by Tuxedocat
KZ200 exhaust road rash was created by Tuxedocat

I have a bit of road rash on the end of my exhaust from my perfectly restored KZ200. It hurts because I spent so much time restoring this thing and I stupidly leaned it and it caught the cement. Is there anything to do for road rash on chrome? Does anyone know how expensive re-chroming the exhaust might run me? The picture is pre-road rash but it is comes up from the bottom near the end. Any Ideas would sure be appreciated.

Many thanks
Attachments:
Last edit: 02 Nov 2014 22:06 by Tuxedocat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Nov 2014 05:43 - 03 Nov 2014 05:54 #652726 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic KZ200 exhaust road rash
Post a good photo of the road rash. I'd guess it's going to be difficult, if not impossible, to fix chrome. A good re-chromer might not want do a used exhaust system because the stuff inside the pipes will contaminate their chrome solution.

Replacement muffler. Probably the best thing would be to keep an eye out on eebbaayy for a nos or good used muffler. Alternatively, search JCWhitney or JP Cycles et al for Dunstall replica mufflers.

Temporary fix. Maybe someone else will chime in with a better idea, but I would probably spray the rash w silver engine enamel --- thinking the paint will stick to the scrapes & lessen the adverse appearance of the rash and any unavoidable overspray will burn or flake off.
Last edit: 03 Nov 2014 05:54 by martin_csr.

• NapalmZ
  • Banned
  • work while bent
More
11 Nov 2014 16:42 #653416 by NapalmZ
Replied by NapalmZ on topic KZ200 exhaust road rash

martin_csr wrote: Post a good photo of the road rash. I'd guess it's going to be difficult, if not impossible, to fix chrome. A good re-chromer might not want do a used exhaust system because the stuff inside the pipes will contaminate their chrome solution.

not really. most chrome platers have a sodium hydroxide hot tank. 18 hours in a hot tank at 170 degrees should strip all the carbon and lead. the main problem is that chrome solutions are different and mixing chrome can cause blistering. a 15 second reverse in one of our tanks will peel the decorative chrome off the copper, without actual stripping. this is also why many platers will use a strip tank of some form of caustic soda to remove the chrome electronically without contaminating their tanks.

basically im saying that the problem is you will be better off plating the entire pipe set but it would probably be cheaper to buy new pipes.

1976 kz900 a4 with delkevic 4 in to 1