Restore the metal!

More
08 May 2014 22:36 #631890 by Tuxedocat
Restore the metal! was created by Tuxedocat
Hey, I love this site. I have a KZ200 that was sitting in someone's barn for many years. It's in descent condition but I want to get the metal to look as good as I can without taking the bike apart. THe Chrome is really good already, it's mostly the oxidized and time weary metal of the engine...Does anybody know of good polish or technique? Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

T
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Killman
  • User
  • Now with 99% more ducks
More
09 May 2014 02:53 #631898 by Killman
Replied by Killman on topic Restore the metal!
First off, you need to get rid of the factory clear coat. I just used a nylon wheel on a drill. Then depending on how shiny and reflective you want it, hit it with varying grits of sandpaper and/or some sort of polishing agent. A lot of guys swear by Autosol or Mothers Mag & Aluminum polish.

Or you can go big and invest in a bench mount polisher, some proper wheels & buffs, and some compounds and rouges. All depends on how much time and/or money that you want to devote to it.

Whatever you do, DON'T try to polish them by hand. It's just not worth the soul sucking time and agony involved, trust me.

1983 kz440 ltd
Quack

More
09 May 2014 04:27 #631900 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Restore the metal!
I've owned my bike since it was new. I didn't polish the cases at all for more than 20 years because I thought they had some sort of clear coat. Actually, they did not have any coating at all on them. Over that period they oxidized and looked VERY dull. I polished my cases and cylinders BY HAND. It's not a big deal, but it takes time. I found it therapeutic as I saw them come to shine. Everyone has there own method and there own favorite polish. Here's the result of my hand polishing and the products I used. You be the judge. Ed

Attachment EngineLeftSide.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

• Killman
  • User
  • Now with 99% more ducks
More
09 May 2014 04:32 #631901 by Killman
Replied by Killman on topic Restore the metal!
Ed there's no denying that your polishing skills are top notch. You were actually the inspiration that led to my trying the whole polishing by hand endeavor.
And I can honestly say that I would sooner light my own ass on fire than go through that again.

1983 kz440 ltd
Quack
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed, Cynjut

More
09 May 2014 04:50 #631903 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Restore the metal!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I understand. It's best to work on it for an hour or so each day with a beer close by. It's not something that can be done in a hurry; that's for sure. The good news is that once the engine is polished, no matter how that is accomplished, keeping it looking good is not very difficult. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
09 May 2014 06:39 - 09 May 2014 06:51 #631910 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Restore the metal!
T: if you plan on doing it by hand, a couple of KZRider have mentioned using a tampico brush, especially for between the fins, & old blue jeans cut into strips. A tampico brush has natural fibers & commonly used to clean/polish wire spoked wheels. If you have a cordless drill, nylon bristle wheels can be used... I think that's one of the tools oldmanrock used on his engine which came out really nice. There are all sorts of polishes, so you're on your own there. hee.

tampico wire wheel brush ... tampico brush - rubber-dipped wire core .... small tampico
Last edit: 09 May 2014 06:51 by martin_csr.

• Grumpy Ole Artist
  • User
  • Eschew Obfuscation!
More
09 May 2014 07:06 #631913 by Grumpy Ole Artist
Replied by Grumpy Ole Artist on topic Restore the metal!
So I am not the only one who looks at Ed's bike as the "Gold standard" of shine, huh? Killman, you made me LOL on that one! It IS a bitch, but there is a sort of "zen" quality to the work...And the payoff? Oooooh, the payoff! Mother's polish is your friend! Hit ACE hardware and grab a few nylon bristle "wire brush" attachments for the old drill...they will do a pretty good job on the cases...For the engine covers/fork lowers, start with 600-800 grit wet...work your way up to 2000 wet, rubbing compound, then switch to the mothers polish..OMG, is it EVER worth it when you are done!

1978 KZ650 B2
Former rides...1976 CB360T, 1985 Shadow 700, 1985 GPZ750Turbo
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed

More
09 May 2014 08:50 #631918 by Cynjut
Replied by Cynjut on topic Restore the metal!
I soda blasted my cases during my last rebuild and they came out very nice - best five minutes I could have spent. At some point, I'll probably attack the smooth parts of the cases with some aluminum polish, but for now, q quick, medium pressure soda blast will clean everything up and get it ready for whatever level of heck you want to put yourself through....

1977 KZ-1000 A1
1982 KZ-1000 M2 Frankenbike

More
09 May 2014 09:37 #631921 by Zedone
Replied by Zedone on topic Restore the metal!
Yep, I agree... Ed gets 1st place :woohoo:

1977 KZ1000A1
1977 KZ1000A1 (Superbike Project)
1969 Chevrolet C/10 Short Fleet
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
10 May 2014 09:05 #632029 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic Restore the metal!
I used a small hemostat with cut up squares of Scotchbrite and cotton tee shirt for the stripping, scrubbing ,cleaning and polishing this last time and was very happy with the way it worked for me.

78 KZ1000 A2A

More
10 May 2014 20:14 #632076 by Tuxedocat
Replied by Tuxedocat on topic Restore the metal!
Hey, thanks for all the awesome tips!!

More
17 May 2014 18:48 #632799 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Restore the metal!
Id start with some spray on aluminum wheel cleaner and a trip to the car wash.
After that its all about scrubbing and rubbing. :laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.