Pre-Painted Engine Cases.

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
12 Apr 2014 08:23 - 13 Apr 2014 06:43 #628783 by 4TheKZ1000
Pre-Painted Engine Cases. was created by 4TheKZ1000
I have previously painted engine cases. I am upgrading my paint to engine parts and wanted to ask for advise on a potential problem.

The paint is sound on cases now, No problems with it adhering. I just lost the sheen and would like to touch them up.

My concern is.......the paint on cases now has had oil on it and some wax applied. I'm concerned that the paint wont want to stick the second time. Did the oil get into the depth's of the paint?

I have cleaned the cases and wiped them down with Dupli-color automotive grease and wax remover. I will scuff them up if painting is possible.

Is this sufficient prep?

Thanks
Last edit: 13 Apr 2014 06:43 by 4TheKZ1000.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
13 Apr 2014 06:29 #628851 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic Pre-Painted Engine Cases.
Sounds like you are on the right track to me.

JD

78 KZ1000 A2A

More
29 Apr 2014 11:44 #630812 by Shdwdrgn
Replied by Shdwdrgn on topic Pre-Painted Engine Cases.
Would a small soda-blaster provide a suitable finish for repainting? I have a bottom case from a police bike already painted black, but I want to repaint in flat-black. I was thinking that blasting it would be much better for getting all the small crevices cleaned out.

1981 KZ1000-JK1
She's a beautiful mess, and I've made her all mine

More
29 Apr 2014 17:04 #630835 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic Pre-Painted Engine Cases.

Shdwdrgn wrote: Would a small soda-blaster provide a suitable finish for repainting? I have a bottom case from a police bike already painted black, but I want to repaint in flat-black. I was thinking that blasting it would be much better for getting all the small crevices cleaned out.

I have a sandblaster with a soda conversion. worked really well on my carb bodies, will be doing the engine cases this weekend

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
30 Apr 2014 06:28 #630893 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic Pre-Painted Engine Cases.
I believe "4"'s lower case engine is still in the frame with his top end off.
"4", I would put any cylinder back on in place. Use a pressure washer, some simple green and a parts brush.
Spray and wash, the blown off with air. Dry with a propane torch or a hot paint strip gun, to get the moisture out of the pores. If you've never done this you would be amazed at the moisture.
"4" should know this, He is familiar with powder coating aluminum.
Then spray away. I have a rebuilt engine that has been on an engine stand for 14 years, full of shop residue, paint dust and oils. I am going to blast this off when it ever warms up and stops raining in western new york.
I have GLOSS black! PJ1. Always loved gloss. I used to use just black lacquer 35 years ago.
Then I just seen this Krylon paint, ( it's new! ) Hi temp special 1200 degree. I bought it just to try it on my grill,
this is aluminum. I'll see if it rubs or smears, I'll test a gas rub. Krylon is the best rattle can for others.
And to anyone who paints an engine black! Take the time to sand the fin edges down, like the 73 Z1 engine.
I see so many clyinders and blocks just all black? Mill, scotch wheel, file or block sand before you paint!
Here are some pics, The Z-rod is sitting in it's new home. In it's small suburbian garage. WTF?
And which one is sleeping with the enemy? :laugh: :laugh: can't we all get along?

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
09 May 2014 17:40 #631972 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic Pre-Painted Engine Cases.
Anyone in this World, Paint an engine lately? I am getting ready to!
Must not have had any interest so far???? Hope the "4theKZ" Dude, Person, is done and rebuilt?

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
09 May 2014 17:53 #631974 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic Pre-Painted Engine Cases.
Nope, still fk'in around with it. Decided to put a WEGO III air/fuel tuner on it.

Painted head but it was a chipper and didn't look good, just stripped it out, applied paint stripper twice and glass bead. Its ready to be painted AGAIN.

Really sucks to do twice, made some mistakes but im learning.

More
10 May 2014 09:16 #632031 by DFIGPZ
Replied by DFIGPZ on topic Pre-Painted Engine Cases.
I have painted over a dozen engines and have had good luck with the pj1 satin case paint what i do is bead blast case clean them really good then tape up areas not to be painted then prep cases with prep solvent then i heat cases with propane torch being careful around masked areas you do not want cases hot just warm to the touch to open pores in cases then apply several thin coats while the part is still warm.

1984 750 Turbo
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4TheKZ1000

More
10 May 2014 14:30 #632052 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Pre-Painted Engine Cases.
Haven't done it in a few years but I would always just clean motor best I could and then paint them with whatever paint I was using. Used to use that Krinkle finish paint. It actually looked good but been using hi-temp paint lately. Can't remember for sure but it was either VHT 1200* paint or Bar-B-Q/radiator paint. Flat black. AFter painting, i started up a kerosene heater or propane heater and focused the heat on the motor for awhile. Sort of cured the paint a little. Finish curing after started and ran bike. Sometimes it would smoke while final curing and other times it didn't. It didn't really seem to matter as they all seemed to work out good. Just be sure motor is clean before painting...

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110