Side cover info needed.

More
04 Jul 2006 16:09 #59340 by kzmarvo
Side cover info needed. was created by kzmarvo
Are the aftermarket kz 900 side covers the same as the original ones? I was told they mount diferent, is this true? I was thinking on a pair from dennis kirk. Some guy emailed me and said he had a pair for 200$ and that sure seems high to me.

Watch it folks,i have sticky fingers when it comes to a nice looking set of handle bars:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jul 2006 16:19 #59342 by duncan
Replied by duncan on topic Side cover info needed.
this shows how the aftermarket sidecovers fit. i bought a pair and they're fine. my only gripe is i wish they had marks where to drill the holes for the sidecover emblems.

www.redlinecycle.com/Sidecovers%20Aftermarket.html

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
04 Jul 2006 17:01 #59351 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic Side cover info needed.
kzmarvo wrote:

Are the aftermarket kz 900 side covers the same as the original ones?

Nope. Neither the Redlines or the Maiers you're looking at are one-up original copies. They are, however, pretty much identical to each other.

Somtime, somewhere, I've seen much closer copies, but they're up around $90 each, as I recall, and I'm not sure of the manufacturer.

I was told they mount diferent, is this true?

Yep. These use a screw/anchor fastener to hard-mount them to the bike - to avoid the largest single cause of bike night wailing and gnashing of Kaw teeth: the missing sidecover. Bin there, dun that... :S

Trouble with that arrangement is that it requires a recess in the cover to get at the screw, and immediately paints it as an aftermarket item. That may or may not be an issue.

I got around that by installing a cable in the upper-front push pin on each cover to an eyelet that meets at the air intake hold down screw....

Anyways...

I was thinking on a pair from dennis kirk. Some guy emailed me and said he had a pair for 200$ and that sure seems high to me.

Depends.

If having a one-up set of originals and maintaining an original configuration is important to you, that's about current market tariff. I've seen original cop covers go for over $250 *each*.

If any sidecover is better than no sidecover, which is certainly true, the aftermarkets 'll do, paint up nice and look good enough for the average looker - and nothing gets hacked up in the process, so you can stick a pair of originals on anytime you'd care to....

More
04 Jul 2006 18:34 #59376 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Side cover info needed.
I think all the repros mount with screws instead of the original plastic tabs that plug into the rubber grommetts. They look OK, but not stock at all. Better than nothing, but I always wonder why "All" aftermarket stuff has to be somehow goofy. Either different mounting, wrong spacing between mounts, mirrors that are not convex, ect, ect. All crap and it's so darn close to being usable, but never is.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• wireman
  • Visitor
04 Jul 2006 19:27 #59386 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Side cover info needed.
damn i agree tith Ron!:S those bolt on covers are definately not as hi-end as the origionals i personally prefer the stock pieces.;)

More
04 Jul 2006 21:08 #59405 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Side cover info needed.
I just sold a set of side covers and boat tail on eBay for $128.00. That was a decent price. the guy that bought the set got a good deal if he was wanting the set because they were made in the USA. I don't like the after market pieces. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
04 Jul 2006 23:25 #59421 by kzmarvo
Replied by kzmarvo on topic Side cover info needed.
Yep, that was a good deal. I saw them on ebay, i think they were blue. I bought some shocks from you i think roy.Small world;)

Watch it folks,i have sticky fingers when it comes to a nice looking set of handle bars:)

More
05 Jul 2006 06:11 #59453 by IowaKZ
Replied by IowaKZ on topic Side cover info needed.
I think that there is a guy called "oldkawman" who sells a lot of parts. I think I saw side covers on his site.

www.oldkawman.com

I don't know if he sells side covers separate, but I know he sells body part 'sets'.

1980 G1 Classic
Bettendorf, Iowa

More
05 Jul 2006 07:02 #59460 by skippr76KZ
Replied by skippr76KZ on topic Side cover info needed.
I used an aftermarket sidecover for my left side. Bought it for $30 a few years back. It had no holes, no mounts. I ended buying these plastic t-connects for a buck. Then cut them into sections and used CA (super-super-glue used for aircraft model building) to affix them to the side cover. They fit perfect in the stock side-cover grommet's. Will still secure with a strap internally to keep the dreaded side-cover fly-off from happening! :S

1976 KZ900LTD Fully Restored
2000 Vulcan FI Classic
1998 Ducati ST2, Gone
Attachments:

More
05 Jul 2006 07:02 #59461 by skippr76KZ
Replied by skippr76KZ on topic Side cover info needed.
The inside.....

1976 KZ900LTD Fully Restored
2000 Vulcan FI Classic
1998 Ducati ST2, Gone
Attachments:

More
05 Jul 2006 08:22 #59473 by mgweiss
Replied by mgweiss on topic Side cover info needed.
American Classix has the exact reproduction covers:

www.americanclassix.com/kawa_plastic_covers.html

More
05 Jul 2006 09:52 #59487 by MattBlack
Replied by MattBlack on topic Side cover info needed.
I actually PREFER the aftermarket bolt on ones..... they won't fly off and it'll actualyl take some effort and at least a screwdriver for someone to steal them vs. 5 seconds when you're not looking.