What paint holds up best to gasoline/ethanol ?

More
08 May 2014 23:30 #631892 by Jimeaster
Replied by Jimeaster on topic What paint holds up best to gasoline/ethanol ?
KG coatings - Gun Koat, impervious to any solvent, even brake fluid. Most paint that isn't heat cured takes a while to cure. some take months to fully cure. I have used a product called "lip seal" to seal the seam where paint meets bare metal at the filler. I believe is is a isophthalic epoxy, which is what the caswell tank liner is as well.

Motorbike Driving Gloves

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2014 04:48 #634009 by mykznme

RonKZ650 wrote: Original factory paint holds up, all others? Well it's not really a ?, it's more a how bad it is, some are bad, some badder, some badass terrible. :)
Good thing about matte paint is it looks bad from day one, so day 2 though 20,000 what gas hits it really is of little consequence.

I'd love to know where you get your information from Ron.
Your claim that no paint is as good as factory is completely WRONG!
I remember that you're a purist from our discussions back in the day but apperantly you're still making uneducated claims to try to sway people from painting THEIR bikes.
You really should step down off that cross and actually learn about the advances in paint in the last 40 years.
There are coatings out now like lumilor that you wouldn't even be able to conceive how they work..

A lot of catalysed coating offer solvent protection but they must be fully cured and as previously stated,this can take months.
To keep petrol off the un-cured coating simply keep a rag tucked under the seat or behind a side cover.
When you go to fill up,grab the handle with one hand and the nozzle with the rag.
Do the same when you pull the nozzle out and any drips will be in the rag instead of in your paint.

Cheers

R.I.P. Odd Ivar

More
26 May 2014 13:57 - 26 May 2014 14:03 #634049 by PLUMMEN

Imron

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 May 2014 14:03 by PLUMMEN.