Exhaust header material/refinishing

More
04 Feb 2014 19:26 #621154 by serfrock
Exhaust header material/refinishing was created by serfrock
Hi all,

Some-time lurker, first-time poster! A few months ago I bought a 1979 KZ650 C3 as a winter project. I'm finally starting to dig into it.

Though I'll have a great many questions in the weeks to come, I'm starting off with a basic one. The exhaust headers on the bike are rather rusty, and I'd like to shine 'em up a bit. Can they be refinished nicely without being re-chromed? For example, could I remove the rust, strip the chrome, and then go at it with increasing sandpaper grits for a while until they look decent? I'm not really looking to get my headers to have a mirror-like finish -- just want to get rid of the rust, pitting, and restore them to a nice even surface with maybe a little luster.

Just wondering if anyone has tried this, and/or if it's even feasible to get them looking decent this way given what metal lies beneath the chrome. Being that this is a cosmetic concern, I thought it was more applicable than in the "engine" section.

Thanks! I look forward to getting this thing on the road come springtime.

1979 KZ650 C3 (in progress)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Feb 2014 19:49 #621158 by Nebr_Rex
Replied by Nebr_Rex on topic Exhaust header material/refinishing
It won't work. By smoothing out the metal to get rid of the pitting will
thin the already thin tubing and cause it to crack from the heating and
cooling cycle. I've had automotive headers crack because of heat
cycleing. A possible alternative is to have it ceramic coated by your
local powdecoater.

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

More
04 Feb 2014 20:22 #621160 by serfrock
Replied by serfrock on topic Exhaust header material/refinishing
Thanks -- I was afraid something like that might be the case. Oh well! Not sure if I'll bother with the existing exhaust, then, or just replace it altogether.

More
05 Feb 2014 06:15 - 05 Feb 2014 06:16 #621189 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Exhaust header material/refinishing
Someone over at the KZ650.Info site posted a link for using oxalic acid on some chrome parts w some pretty good result. However, without seeing how bad the rust is & before trying any treatments, try running the bike first to see how much burns off. The stock system on my 81 650 was rusty, so I tried phosphoric acid on one of the header pipes... bad idea. After running the bike, the appearance of the other pipes improved greatly.

Removing rust from chrome parts using Oxalic Acid
Last edit: 05 Feb 2014 06:16 by martin_csr.

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
05 Feb 2014 07:54 - 05 Feb 2014 08:03 #621194 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic Exhaust header material/refinishing
I know what you are talking about. I purchased a chrome Kerker, it was very rusted and after blasting and applying a black ceramic coating.....you could see the pits.

I really could care less. Wish it wasn't pitted, but I have LESS than $100.00 in the pipe and having it coated, it looks good to me.
Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Feb 2014 08:03 by 4TheKZ1000.

More
05 Feb 2014 08:09 #621199 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Exhaust header material/refinishing

4TheKZ1000 wrote: I know what you are talking about. I purchased a chrome Kerker, it was very rusted and after blasting and applying a black ceramic coating.....you could see the pits.

I really could care less. Wish it wasn't pitted, but I have a total of $100.00 in the pipe and it looks good to me.

Yes, those pipes looks really bad, in fact your whole bike is just awful! I recommend you hide it in my garage this summer. I promise, I won't ride it; much. Well maybe I'll just ride it enough to keep the oil circulated and the carbs clean. I figure a few thousand miles should do it. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

On a serious note, if anyone is looking that close at the pipes tell them to take a hike; your bike looks great! Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4TheKZ1000

More
05 Feb 2014 09:10 #621202 by serfrock
Replied by serfrock on topic Exhaust header material/refinishing

4TheKZ1000 wrote: I know what you are talking about. I purchased a chrome Kerker, it was very rusted and after blasting and applying a black ceramic coating.....you could see the pits.

I really could care less. Wish it wasn't pitted, but I have LESS than $100.00 in the pipe and having it coated, it looks good to me.

Not at all, those pipes look excellent! I wouldn't mind putting a ceramic coating on my headers. I plan to repaint the bike, but I'm undecided about the color scheme, so I don't know what color I'd coat them for the time being. A little pitting isn't so bad, but I feel like excessive pitting on chrome doesn't look great.

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
05 Feb 2014 10:15 #621210 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic Exhaust header material/refinishing
One thing about the coating. It has to be put on thin.....one coat with a low build, and you cant add coats.

It looks great 1 year later, but you can scratch it very easy. That is my only complaint with this brand of ceramic paint.

I had it done, was riding about two months later......and a plastic bag was blown up from under the car in front of me and hit the 3 and 4 down tube.

It melted on the two pipes and kinda looks like crap. Cant have anything nice.... :S