help with kz chopper

More
16 Oct 2013 18:31 #610268 by steele650
help with kz chopper was created by steele650
I brought this chopper a few months ago and ive herd it run but it keeps shutting down I checked the connections and 2 of my pluhs hqve snapped on the boot that connects to the spark plug. How cani test to see if my coils are bad and replace the boot or donibhqve to replace the while coil .ohh by the way heres some pics
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Oct 2013 23:36 #610287 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic help with kz chopper

steele650 wrote: I brought this chopper a few months ago and ive herd it run but it keeps shutting down I checked the connections and 2 of my pluhs hqve snapped on the boot that connects to the spark plug. How cani test to see if my coils are bad and replace the boot or donibhqve to replace the while coil .ohh by the way heres some pics

Hello, steele650, and WELCOME to KZr! :cheer:

Can ohm-check the coils, and Kawasaki dealerships usually have a coil tester.

Need good plug wires, good caps, and good spark plugs.

Are the plug wires removable from the coils?

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
22 Oct 2013 18:04 - 22 Oct 2013 18:06 #610862 by steele650
Replied by steele650 on topic help with kz chopper
No the wires are not removable from the coils but the oot seems to come off the ends.i went out a brought a new battery looks like thats was bad 2 .

Thankx for the welcome
Last edit: 22 Oct 2013 18:06 by steele650.

More
22 Oct 2013 21:35 #610880 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic help with kz chopper
Having heard it run and shut down several times -- is an important consideration, because it indicates that the cold engine will start and run, at least momentarily.

With plugs removed, but otherwise connected and bases held grounded against the engine head, supposed to have fat blue sparks when cranking the engine over (ignition switched ON and kill switch in RUN position).

Spark failure isn't the most likely suspect for causing a running engine to shut down, unless the battery dies due to a failed charging system.

Insufficient valve clearance could allow the engine to run until it warms, but disallow enough compression when warm.

Fuel starvation is sometimes the reason a running engine shuts down.

The three requirements are:
Spark -- Adequate and properly timed spark;
Compression -- Sufficient compression and valve clearances within specs;
Fuel -- Ample supply of clean fresh fuel into the carbs, with carbs producing the correct mixture.

Would begin the diagnosis by assuring adequate and properly timed sparks.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
27 Feb 2014 06:46 #623497 by steele650
Replied by steele650 on topic help with kz chopper
Thanks I found the culprit it was the ignition colis & plugs being disconnected from the boot I was able to.swap them and got it to run but it was inconsistent so im replacing the plugs boots and ignition coils just waiting for my tank to get back I had it n cut open and completely redone and beaded by gangster choppers hear in richmond..