Loose Mirror

• david-b
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I am THAT guy
More
26 Aug 2013 10:24 #603118 by david-b
Loose Mirror was created by david-b
The left mirror on my bike doesn't stay in position while riding. It's easy to move and obviously annoying while riding. I tried to tighten the little part where the hinge is, but no change. Is there any fix for this on these bikes or do I need to get a new mirror?

Never been a big fan of the big bulky mirrors on my bike, but trying to keep it stock, so no aftermarket.

Thanks!

/Dave

2013 Chevy Sonic LT 1.4L Turbo
1982 Kawasaki KZ750-H3 LTD
1975 Monte Carlo 400sbc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Aug 2013 15:23 #603164 by Beaner242
Replied by Beaner242 on topic Loose Mirror
can you take the mirror of the stem? i dont have mirrors so not sure how they mount. if it comes off maybe you could wrap the ball with teflon tape to tighten it up? or a dab of silicone to keep it in place?

1982 KZ1000K LTD Chopper

More
06 Sep 2013 02:21 #605149 by nickleo373
Replied by nickleo373 on topic Loose Mirror
I had the same problem with mine. Advance auto sells a glue for rearview mirrors in cars. It seems to be holding pretty good on the bike

1981 KZ550C LTD
"If you ain't first, you're last"

• aiza
  • Visitor
12 Sep 2013 03:27 - 12 Sep 2013 07:01 #606141 by aiza
Replied by aiza on topic Loose Mirror
I am on my second Corbin. I like them. A sergeant seat is a good choice also.
Last edit: 12 Sep 2013 07:01 by Patton.

More
12 Sep 2013 07:02 - 12 Sep 2013 07:03 #606153 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Loose Mirror

aiza wrote: I am on my second Corbin. I like them. A sergeant seat is a good choice also.

Attachment coolofftopic.jpg not found

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Sep 2013 07:03 by Patton.

More
12 Sep 2013 13:49 #606200 by Cynjut
Replied by Cynjut on topic Loose Mirror

Beaner242 wrote: can you take the mirror of the stem? i dont have mirrors so not sure how they mount. if it comes off maybe you could wrap the ball with teflon tape to tighten it up? or a dab of silicone to keep it in place?

The teflon tape is a good suggestion, but there should be a locking nut on the stem that you can tighten down once the stem is in place to lock the whole stem down.

If the stem isn't what's turning, but the mirror is vibrating out of position, you will probably need to use something like super glue or caulk to get the mirror into position and 'sieze' it there.

Most stock mirrors were manufactured on the stem, so there's not really anything you can once the ball and socket become loose. Some aftermarket mirrors had set screws and/or threaded sleeves that could be adjusted to lock the mirror in place. If you're in this particular jam, you can try adding a small set screw to the mirror body, but that's kind of a 'last resort' thing, since you can break the mirror (housing/glass) without even trying.

By far, the simplest solution is to connect the mirror to the bars, lock it down with the locking nut, and turn the mirror "down and in" to expose as much of the ball as you can. Daub on some clear sealant on the ball, then twist the mirror around a couple of times to move the glue around to get as much of it as you can on the ball. You'll have a couple hours before the glue will set up, but once it does, you're not really going to be able to move the mirror again. This means you need to set it up and go watch a movie. When you come out, the mirror should be pretty much permanently in place.

1977 KZ-1000 A1
1982 KZ-1000 M2 Frankenbike