Suggestions for using Duplicolor Metalcast?

More
12 Aug 2013 15:53 #601036 by Shdwdrgn
I bought several various spray paints this weekend, and found something I like using the duplicolor silver metal specks, followed by a coat of orange metalcast. I like the idea of spray-painting my tank because then I can do my own touch-ups down the road. However, I found that using the transparent metalcast really takes a special touch...

So for anyone that has successfully used it in the past -- HOW? I tried painting a section of an old sign as a test area. The metalcast seems to go on very light at first, then suddenly builds up, but as it dries I noticed about half the area looks like it was dry-painted. It has almost a feathery surface, rather than glossy, and looks more like a dusty red than the transparent yellow-orange color that I see around the sides. I've done quite a lot of spray painting in my day, but I've never worked with a paint like this before, so I'm open to any suggestions?

1981 KZ1000-JK1
She's a beautiful mess, and I've made her all mine

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Aug 2013 18:00 #601052 by pb3
I used the red metal cast over silver on my vmax. Turned out pretty good. I wet sanded the silver with 2000 grit before spraying the metal cast. I then cleared it with Nason clear. You can also buy it in rattle can. Just prep everything well and it should be all right.

Attachment 20130417_080723.jpg not found

Attachment 20130418_234020.jpg not found

Attachments:

More
12 Aug 2013 18:16 #601054 by Shdwdrgn
Replied by Shdwdrgn on topic Suggestions for using Duplicolor Metalcast?
OK so wet-sanding the metal flake doesn't affect its 'sparkle'? That stuff looks fantastic in the sunlight, so I don't want to dull it down any.

What about technique for layering the metalcast? Is it better to put it down one light coat at a time until it builds up to the color I want? Or does it need to go on heavier so that I get an overall 'wet' layer?

I was also thinking about making a KZ1000 stencil for the side panels, and doing a coat of smoked tinting over the metal flake, then laying the orange down over the top of everything so that the KZ1000 pops up from behind the orange. Not sure if it will work, but will be fun to experiment.

1981 KZ1000-JK1
She's a beautiful mess, and I've made her all mine

More
12 Aug 2013 19:20 #601063 by pb3
No, wet sanding shouldn't dull it down. As long as you don't go through the paint into the primer or base. I actually used that cheap chrome paint under the metal cast. I just layer a good wet coat of chrome then did the marble, light wet sand with 2000, metal cast, then cleared it.
I did a tack coat then followed with wet coats till I got the tint I wanted. I wish I had gone a little darker on the red tho. It seemed to fade a little from the sun over time.
That's the thing with rattle bombing, its cheap to experiment with. I would use a good clear over it tho. Gas will eat it faster than a fat kid on a cupcake.

More
12 Aug 2013 21:05 #601078 by Hollywoodmx
Replied by Hollywoodmx on topic Suggestions for using Duplicolor Metalcast?
cleaning your tank with wax and grease remover between steps is also a good idea. then use a prep pad right before painting to remove any dust, hair, etc.

- 82 GPz1100injection
- 77 Kz1075 Supercharged
- 81 Yamaha TR-1
- 81 Yamaha xv920
Calgary