Good Size Holes in Tank

More
03 Jun 2013 19:55 - 03 Jun 2013 19:57 #590707 by KZJOE900
Good Size Holes in Tank was created by KZJOE900
Hoping to get some opinions on getting a tank repaired. This is not a KZ tank (seems thinner) but others here may find the information useful. The holes are located on both sides of the tank towards the rear.

These tanks are very rare and I don't want to risk buying a tank online for $200.00 then find out that it has holes as well under the paint. So I would rather fix this one. Plan on painting it myself, so I'm willing to risk the paint job. Had a local guy look at it and he told me he had some lead leftover that he will use as filler. He plans on indenting the areas with the hole (in the rear sections) and filling it with lead and then shape it. The rest of the holes further down the side he said he will solder. Anybody have any experience getting a tank fixed in this way? I know there was another member who had an a tank repaired, followed by a professional paint job (bronze orange I think). And his paint started bubbling. But I think the guy that repaired his tank only used a epoxy filler at the surface and the painter may inadvertently sanded too much on the repair. Won't have to worry about that here

Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450
Last edit: 03 Jun 2013 19:57 by KZJOE900.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.