Getting the rust out-HOPEFULLY

More
12 May 2013 00:24 #586956 by Chum
Getting the rust out-HOPEFULLY was created by Chum
Hello ladies and gents,

I'm trying a rust removal solution one of the members shared. I'll try to share my results soon. Just slowly trying to get my KZ650 road worthy.
Based on the picture provided, does it look like I'm heading down the road to a rust free tank? I know it's just one picture but ill fill in the blanks with this; about 4 gallons of vinegar and a cup of baking soda filled to the brim. The screw acting as the conduit at which point my 10 amp chargers positive terminal is attached. The screw is suspended in the solution with a plastic lid and the negative terminal connected to the tank directly.

81' KZ650 project bike
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 May 2013 00:32 #586957 by kickinkz
Replied by kickinkz on topic Getting the rust out-HOPEFULLY
Yes, please let us know....I'd like to see the results...

I also seen guys use Coca-Cola for removing rust....I wonder how that would work filling a tank with that and letting it sit for a week....

The first kz1000 I fell in love with was Toecutter's bike in Mad Max...It's been a passion of mine ever since...

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
12 May 2013 10:39 - 12 May 2013 10:40 #586993 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic Getting the rust out-HOPEFULLY
I'm using Evaporust in a tank off a 64 Honda Dream that sat for thirty years , I'm going to give it a second treatment today and then coat it with Marvels mystery oil until it's time to put fuel in.
Then we will be installing a nice big clear fuel filter and hope for the best.

I have heard about the process that you are using, please keep us posted on your results, I hope it works well for you.

JD

78 KZ1000 A2A
Last edit: 12 May 2013 10:40 by bluej58.

More
12 May 2013 11:19 #587000 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Getting the rust out-HOPEFULLY
That is a slow process. It would be alright for flash rust but would use acid for anything heaver.

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
12 May 2013 12:17 #587011 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Getting the rust out-HOPEFULLY
Keeping an eye on this as I have two tanks in need of cleaning...

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
13 May 2013 03:01 #587130 by Chum
Replied by Chum on topic Getting the rust out-HOPEFULLY
Well guys, I'm sorry to disappoint. I can't seem to keep the tank sealed. I've clamped a cap on the nipple but there's about half of the solution in the basin I was using to hold the tank.
If I use acid, what kind? How long?

81' KZ650 project bike

More
13 May 2013 12:35 #587162 by mopguy
Replied by mopguy on topic Getting the rust out-HOPEFULLY
I clean all the rust off of the gas tanks with a solution of water and muriatic acid, let sit overnight, then wash with water only, and finally use WD-40 to get water out and flash the metal, and if tank is going in storage I also add engine oil to coat metal.

I have a 1980 Kawasaki KZ750 Ltd. I bought new. I recently managed to get it out of my garage after 28 years and put it on the road again (2010). I feel like a kid all over again. Since I have acquired 3 78 KZ1000 Ltd, 1 1981 KZ1000 Ltd, and another 1980 KZ750 Ltd. Love the LTD's.

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
13 May 2013 22:59 - 13 May 2013 23:06 #587251 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic Getting the rust out-HOPEFULLY

bluej58 wrote: I'm using Evaporust in a tank off a 64 Honda Dream that sat for thirty years , I'm going to give it a second treatment today and then coat it with Marvels mystery oil until it's time to put fuel in.
Then we will be installing a nice big clear fuel filter and hope for the best.

I have heard about the process that you are using, please keep us posted on your results, I hope it works well for you.

JD

After reading the label on the Evaporust I discovered that it is not a acid base like the stuff I used before and they say to fill the tank up and leave it in up to 12 hours. :whistle:

So I headed out to the Farm and Fleet and bought some more Permatex Rust Dissolver and dumped the whole 8 oz bottle in the tank and left it in for about 30 min. rolling it every so often .

After two treatments the inside of the tank is looking a lot better, I think I'm done.

Time to rebuild the petcock ;)

78 KZ1000 A2A
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 May 2013 23:06 by bluej58.

More
13 May 2013 23:50 #587254 by KZJOE900
Replied by KZJOE900 on topic Getting the rust out-HOPEFULLY
If you're not in any rush and have time on your hands, I used with vinegar on my tank with excellent results. Took about two weeks. But it was pretty bad in at the beginning. If you search this site for the topic, you will also see recommendations for using oxalic acid which everyone who used it highly recommend it. Apparently, it will also coat the metal to keep it from getting flash rust.

Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450

More
14 May 2013 01:37 #587271 by lightitup
Replied by lightitup on topic Getting the rust out-HOPEFULLY
i have also seen people put in a bunch of old nuts bolts and screws, and then put the tank wrapped in towels in the dryer if its heavy rust. but i have done it this way on a car tank before.

81 kz 550 ltd

More
18 May 2013 09:06 #588037 by SteveP
Replied by SteveP on topic Getting the rust out-HOPEFULLY
www.facebook.com/WFOCustomPaint

I went your route a couple yeaers back, find yourself a threaded cap for the petcock hole and you can get a rubber stopper of somoe type for the gas fill hole at the hardware store or plumbing supply house. If you are going to use the charger method the bigger the piece of metal you suspend the better, I used a piece or rebar, again not a big expense, just use your imagination.

Vinegar works as a cleaner too. As well as Evaporust. Adding some pieces of metal inside the tank when using vinegar etc will help scrape the rust off, a handfull of square edge nuts for instance. Put them in shake it around work it thne drain and do over. I filtered the solution through rags into a bucket then re-used it. Evaporust is not cheap. Vinegar is.

Check Dana's FB page above, he has taken tanks that you would never think could be saved and brought them back to life. You can sand and scrape inside a tank with scotchbrite and a stick or as I used a piece of metal bridgeing that had been discarded from a carpenters worksite. Good Luck!

Steve P
80 LTD 1000 B4

More
20 May 2013 02:51 #588298 by richard_oxon
Replied by richard_oxon on topic Getting the rust out-HOPEFULLY
I did my tank today , mine was rusted quite bad . I did a bit of research on this and i used drain cleaner , the cleaner i used was called The Works and came from the dollar store . However it cost $1.65 lol, but it cleaned my tank with in 10mins no rust no where . Its nasty stuff mind have to watch your self with it ,I did it in the bath room in the bath with the extractor running .. After i got the rust gone , i put the shower head facing the tank and kept water flowing tho it for about 10mins . After that a hairdryer till it was dry inside , then put some oil in it to stop it flash rusting .. Here some other things i found as well that may do the job .

Concrete / etcher/cleaner is hydrochloric acid = nasy stuff .

Cider vinegar ment to be stronger then white vinegar .

Swimming pool acid is muriatic acid .

Caustic soda nasty stuff again .

Spirits of salt .

Phosphoric acid . bath room dept at store .

** KZ1000 B3 1979 ** 1015cc wiseco pistons 33 smoothbores ported head 410 cams
** KZ1000 A1 1977** 1075 wiseco pistons 438 megacycle cams ported head rs34 flat slides
The following user(s) said Thank You: bluej58