Z1 Reproduction Gas Cap

More
06 May 2013 12:47 #585986 by Yorkie
Z1 Reproduction Gas Cap was created by Yorkie
I recently purchased a reproduction gas cap for my early Z1 and although the cap fits OK the latch refuses to latch. Does anyone else have any experience with these gas caps? Do they need modification/
Thanks,
Kevin

'72 Z1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 May 2013 21:16 #586638 by GregZ
Replied by GregZ on topic Z1 Reproduction Gas Cap
I have one experience with repo gas cap. And that cap is in the woods behind my house after i tossed it like a frisbee. At that time I then prceeded to buy up every super nice (or nos oem)original cap on fleabay.I have about eight restoration quality oem petro caps stashed away

Good Luck
gregz

More
10 May 2013 13:35 #586741 by Yorkie
Replied by Yorkie on topic Z1 Reproduction Gas Cap
Then if you have eight caps you surely would not mind selling me one! :) Seriously, if you do want to let one go (it will need to be nice) please PM me.
Thanks,

Kevin

'72 Z1

More
10 May 2013 16:19 #586766 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic Z1 Reproduction Gas Cap
Is the bodywork original, repainted or aftermarket?

What I have seen with repainted or aftermarket bodywork, the clearcoat applied to the mount area causes the latch to hang-up. On my own 74 Z1 with both reproduction bodywork and a reproduction cap I had issues initially - and had to carefully sand down the sides of the latch mount point on the tank, and run a small round file through the pivot hole to clean it up. Once I did this, it worked fine.

One other potential cause is the rolled pin pivot - it you've peeded the ends over and applied too much pressure, it may pinch and cause it to be too tight.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,