Re-chrome work

• BlackZ1R
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Kawasaki in my blood
More
06 Jan 2013 05:07 #566060 by BlackZ1R
Re-chrome work was created by BlackZ1R
Thinking of getting a few parts re-chromed. Can anyone here speak from first hand experience about what to expect from re-chroming factory chromed parts like fenders, brackets and such? How is the quality? Does it stick out like a sore thumb?
Brown's Plating comes to mind.
Maybe a ballpark figure on prices would be good too. Thanks.

Kawasaki

Someone once told me to marry that motorcycle I was riding ......there's times I wish I hadda listened .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jan 2013 09:20 #566072 by etbike3135
Replied by etbike3135 on topic Re-chrome work
I have used 3 different chromers over the last 5 years and I am more dissapointed then ever with the quality and longevity. I look for reproduction now or nos parts. I have had parts where the chrome peals off after time, waves in the chrome? and other problems. Just not worth it and they dont seem to last. Im sure there are some places that can do a good job but I have just about tapped out all the places near me.
I just installed a rear fender I had done a couple years back I thought looked great. I pushed the rear tire in and rubbed the lip of the fender and a huge piece of chrome just pealed right off.

1973 Kawasaki Z1
18 years in dragbikes
The following user(s) said Thank You: BlackZ1R

• BlackZ1R
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Kawasaki in my blood
More
06 Jan 2013 13:11 #566089 by BlackZ1R
Replied by BlackZ1R on topic Re-chrome work
Yup, I'm with you on the NOS parts for sure, some of the repros look pretty good too.
I've seen some re-chromed parts that didn't look "right". But I didn't know what they looked like before the process, so I couldn't make a call on any of them.
Have heard good things about Brown's Plating in KY. Has anyone had any experience with their re-chroming? :unsure:

Kawasaki

Someone once told me to marry that motorcycle I was riding ......there's times I wish I hadda listened .

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
06 Jan 2013 13:18 #566090 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Re-chrome work
I drive 90 miles each way to the plating shopin Sioux city nebraska I use,The one local shop in Omaha that I like that does really good work is always backed up with antique and old car stuff from around the country.
Theyre cousins on the other hand on the other side of Omaha I wouldn't let do the plating on a Schwinn bicycle chain after one of their $5.00 an hr flunkies screw up a bunch of parts for one of my 55 chevys! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BlackZ1R

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
06 Jan 2013 17:32 #566114 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Re-chrome work
I had Browns do my engine covers Around 1980 with all but the dyno cover still in perfect condition, So overall satisfied. Dyno cover ( Which I got that one from you) will be plated in the future but just had polished for now because of 6 week or longer lead time for chroming. Also from taking to platers alot of them dont like to rechrome a part because of high failure rates..
Alot of parts I have thought of replating can be purchased with good chrome for the same cost or close to it than plating only cost..
My plater also said that some early kz covers are a form of pot metal and take more work and time to plate than true aluminum parts.. He said my dyno cover chrome probably failed due to porosities in the metal allowing oil weep thru.
Hope this helps \

Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
The following user(s) said Thank You: BlackZ1R, wireman

More
06 Jan 2013 17:42 #566115 by ramtough_63
Replied by ramtough_63 on topic Re-chrome work
I'm no expert but since the EPA makes its own rules its amazing to me that real chrome is still available in the US well... its not the same as it was in 1980 the chemicals have changed
chrome from other countries still use the real chemicals they havent had to change the chemicals and dilute their process so I have heard

1978 KZ1000 A2
Thrown Together To Ride Til Winter
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
and various enduros dirtbikes minibikes...
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman