Lights w/o Vetter Fairing

More
22 Jun 2006 12:23 #56296 by NormZ
Lights w/o Vetter Fairing was created by NormZ
I'm considering removing the vetter fairing from my KZ1100, at least for a trial. I'm curious to see how it looks without it, and if the wind will bother me.

Anyway, I'm wondering about the headlight and turn signals. Where's a good source to get replacement lights & mounts without spending a lot of money? Also, does anyone know if I can remove the headlight from the fairing and somehow mount it directly to the bike?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jun 2006 13:12 #56311 by mariozappa
Replied by mariozappa on topic Lights w/o Vetter Fairing
I'm pretty sure you can't fit the vetter light and ring into your Kaw. On my 650, I need the original chrome headlight ring to go on the original headlight bucket.
As far as turn signals go, I see them on ebay for cheap (for my 650) most of the time. Or try www.kandstech.com/

my $0.02

1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

More
23 Jun 2006 05:19 #56476 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Lights w/o Vetter Fairing
the headlight is made into the faring, when you take off the faring you should have two ears that fold out to hold the headlight bucket and turn signals, the turn signals are used to secure the bucket.
best bet may be a bone yard, check ome of the sites that have the orig, part numbers to see what elese will fit

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
24 Jun 2006 19:13 #56876 by kz1000g
Replied by kz1000g on topic Lights w/o Vetter Fairing
Back in 1982 Vetter was using the Windjammer 5. When that was put on the bike, you would cut off the tabs for the turn signals and remove the headlight bucket. It was and still is a good fairing.

Kawasaki also sold the Vetter fairing as a stock option on their bikes. It was maked with "Kawasaki by Vetter" decals. If that is your case, your bike was made with the fairing in place.

My 2 cents - if you are not happy with the look of the bike, sell it to someone who is. That bike was great and it would be a shame for someone to chop it up.

Paul Sr
kz1000g

More
26 Jun 2006 09:13 #57226 by NormZ
Replied by NormZ on topic Lights w/o Vetter Fairing
Well, I did it...removed the fairing this weekend. I was able to remove the headlight can from the fairing and attach it to the tabs on the bike. Then bought a new set of turn signals for $15 from a local bike store. Looks much better! I am still searching for a new headlight can as the one from the fairing is grey plastic with a chrome ring on the front.

Paul, I understand your concern about messing with a stock KZ. For the most part I agree, I've wanted to update the look for quite some time but have held off for that reason. However, all I had to do to remove it was take off about 6 bolts and redo some wiring. So, I can easily put it back on if I want to. Also, if I ever sell the bike I plan to sell the original fairing with it.

Now, I am looking for a plexiglass windshield. I remember a post here a while back which had a link to a website that sells windshields for older KZs. However, I did a search and can't find the post or the website. Can anyone tell me where I can find a simple plexiglass windshield for a 1983 KZ1100? I'm not sure that the universal handlbar mounted ones will work because of the shape of the original handlbars (pulled back) and the location of the meters (in front of the triple tee).

More
28 Jun 2006 13:58 #57816 by silverfacechamp
Replied by silverfacechamp on topic Lights w/o Vetter Fairing
I got a really nice Slipstreamer fairing/windshield from www.denniskirk.com for my 1981 440LTD. The fairing will also fit my KZ750. They have lots of different styles and ultra fast shipping.