Question for Aluminum polishers on here

• BlackZ1R
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Kawasaki in my blood
More
03 Nov 2012 00:18 #556879 by BlackZ1R
Question for Aluminum polishers on here was created by BlackZ1R
How much is too much rash in a point/dyno cover before it's too far gone to work out ?
I have a points cover I'd like to fix, but may end up going black with it.
Any tips for a newbie? ;)

Kawasaki

Someone once told me to marry that motorcycle I was riding ......there's times I wish I hadda listened .
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
03 Nov 2012 00:30 #556881 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic Question for Aluminum polishers on here
you would have to sand that out and re-polish....you might see an uneven spot after your done blending and sanding when light catches it right....I would purchase another, but it can be fixed.

• BlackZ1R
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Kawasaki in my blood
More
03 Nov 2012 00:44 #556882 by BlackZ1R
Replied by BlackZ1R on topic Question for Aluminum polishers on here
Yeah, that's about what I was thinking too. seems like lots of metal to take off to get right.
This one isn't mine. I have a couple spares I'm still working on. And an odd one that showed up one day...thinking I need to make it black.

Kawasaki

Someone once told me to marry that motorcycle I was riding ......there's times I wish I hadda listened .
Attachments:

More
03 Nov 2012 00:57 #556886 by KZJOE900
Replied by KZJOE900 on topic Question for Aluminum polishers on here
Not recommending either way. Not sure mine was that bad. But I used a metal file to slowly remove the gouges out. Which leaves some file marks as well if you press too hard. Which are hard to get out by the sanding that follows. Yours looks like it may be deeper than what I had. If you have a hand held belt sander you may be able to use that by mounting upside down in a vise. I would have a finer belt on there. But you have to be even more careful doing it this way. May take off more material than you intend.

Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450
Attachments:

• BlackZ1R
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Kawasaki in my blood
More
03 Nov 2012 01:18 #556891 by BlackZ1R
Replied by BlackZ1R on topic Question for Aluminum polishers on here
D'oh! Man, I tell you, I don't think this one is as bad as the one you pictured. Looks like it took a hella ride in the gravel :pinch:
Looks 100% better after your polish work.

Kawasaki

More
03 Nov 2012 01:29 #556893 by Tomolu5
Replied by Tomolu5 on topic Question for Aluminum polishers on here
I have taken some curb rash that was worse on wheels before. I would work it slow with a file, and then a flap wheel sander or something. Next, a dual action sander will be your friend. Really just a matter of feathering it out just right, but I would give it a go

Mine:
04 Honda rebel 250(wifes)
04 GSXR 750(bolt on galore)
98 CBR 600F3(filter, pipe, adjustable cam sprokets, dyno tune)
76 KZ900A (LTD gauge pods, crash bars, LTD(style)pipes, dyna coils and ignition,headwork and mild port cleanup by cavanaugh racing, K&N filter pods, heck I dunno.

More
03 Nov 2012 06:56 #556913 by boatdrinks
Replied by boatdrinks on topic Question for Aluminum polishers on here
I would think one option for really deep gouges is to have someone TIG some filler metal in there and then file/sand down. Only problem there is that there may not be an exact color match since these are cast not machined pieces.

Charles
Madison, AL
1978 KZ650 B2A, Luminous Dark Blue

• o.c.f.rider
  • User
  • Trying to make a cool Z1!
More
10 Nov 2012 13:19 #557762 by o.c.f.rider
Replied by o.c.f.rider on topic Question for Aluminum polishers on here
It doesn't look like it's dented, and the gouges don't look all that deep, so, yeah, it could be sanded out smooth and polished.

Chris

Trying to make the world a brighter place...........

www.theshining.info/

More
10 Nov 2012 20:28 #557808 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Question for Aluminum polishers on here
Bunch of workaholics here! :laugh:

Being of a lazy nature, a die grinder with coarse, medium, and fine Scotchbright scrubby pads, followed by the brown Tripoli polish on a sewn buffing wheel on my air drill works wonders, and so little elbow grease needed that my five year old grandson loves to do it :P

To strip off paint prior to polish I use 220 grit sanding disks on the die grinder, followed by blue (fine) scrubby pads, then the Tripoli.

KD9JUR

More
10 Nov 2012 21:21 #557813 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic Question for Aluminum polishers on here

BlackZ1R wrote: Yeah, that's about what I was thinking too. seems like lots of metal to take off to get right.
This one isn't mine. I have a couple spares I'm still working on. And an odd one that showed up one day...thinking I need to make it black.

Yeah, you're right, that is an odd one. Moriaki odd, wow, where did you find that? And what's more, how easy are those to find nowadays? I would love a piece like that for my bike.

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200