rattle job

More
16 Jun 2006 19:58 #55052 by kzinaz
rattle job was created by kzinaz
i have a question about a rattle can paint job. i'm going with a flat black and was wondering if a clear coat would take too much away from the "flat" black. oh here is a pic finally.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2006 20:30 #55063 by Werewolfx
Replied by Werewolfx on topic rattle job
I think you can get flat or atleast satin clear coats, but I don't know about pre-mixed in rattlecans..You may be able to get a paint shop to properly mix some for you and put it in one of those little sprayers with the glass jar on the bottom.

Chris

More
16 Jun 2006 20:32 #55065 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic rattle job
Clear would make it shiny. The best you can get in rattle cans is semi gloss clear. Even cleared with rattle cans you should use a rag to catch any drips when gassing up.
Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
16 Jun 2006 20:34 #55066 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic rattle job
If you clear a flat black tank with clear gloss, you'll have a gloss black tank.

As previously mentioned, there's satin-finish clears, and if anybody 'll have it in a rattlecan, it'll be PJ-1...

Hope that helps...

More
17 Jun 2006 08:21 #55134 by 1983LTD750
Replied by 1983LTD750 on topic rattle job
check my post in the new members forum and see my rattle can job.

its a metallic paint for wheels, so it will stick to bare metal. And the black stripe is just regular Rustoleum black. The center stripe is just black paint and while it was wet, I just put some saran-wrap on top of it and squished it around.

Its got 3 coats of rattle can clearcoat on it too.

but yeah, I still carry a rag underneath the seat to catch any drips from re-fueling.

More
17 Jun 2006 08:56 #55141 by Fossil
Replied by Fossil on topic rattle job
I assume you want to clear coat it for durability? I've found the Duplicolor engine enamels with ceramic to go on quite smooth and stand up better than any other spray can paint I've found. I used the low gloss black (satin) on my engine and the gloss black on a few brackets, brake pedal and my rear wheel.