need final sanding advice.

• ironslave
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • sup
More
31 Aug 2012 16:04 #545906 by ironslave
need final sanding advice. was created by ironslave
I Painted my bike today, tank and side covers. My first paint job and it has some problems.

I oversprayed and got a big sag in one spot, I sanded it down and resprayed in that area and it looks different from the rest of the paint. It is flatter. but I am not going to fix it because I've gone through enough paint already.

I used the Duplicolor Metalcast system using all duplicator products. Sandable Primer followed by Metallic base coat followed by metal cast orange clear coat. It looks pretty good but the coats were uneven, It looks cool but the final product is uneven with some orange peel. I sanded it all down with 400 followed by 1000 and painted again. The orange peel is much less pronounce but the coats are still kind of bumpy.

What would you suggest I do to smooth it out. I am afraid I will either sand through the paint or make it cloudy all the way down to 2000 grit. How long should I wait before I sand it and how should I sand it to polish up the surface.

I read that this paint should be able to be applied with no sanding at all with the exception of the prep having 400 grit which I did do.

I will leave it before I ruin it. The paint is hard to come by here and I had to order it.

1981 KZ750 LTD
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ironslave
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • sup
More
31 Aug 2012 19:59 - 31 Aug 2012 23:08 #545943 by ironslave
Replied by ironslave on topic need final sanding advice.
here is a pic of the bike back together. The paint is so uneven on the tank it isn't even funny. It will do as it is way better then the flat black primer that was rubbing everywhere. It really pops orange and metallic in the full sun though.

what ended up making this weird is how nice the tank looks in the garage. It looks exactly like the side panel.
I think i should put on a few more coats to even out the color, thats what I did to the side panels and it fixed them.

What should I paint next?

1981 KZ750 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 31 Aug 2012 23:08 by ironslave.

More
01 Sep 2012 09:16 #546011 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic need final sanding advice.
follow link to the process that works just fine... ;)

1000-1500-2000 grit till smooth before clear coat. Clear cures do it again then buff out with rubbing compound/Dr Scratch Nu Finish... Comes out beautimuss.

Can Painting

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:

More
01 Sep 2012 11:31 #546028 by gwolever
Replied by gwolever on topic need final sanding advice.
What Old Man Rock said. That will help you through the process.

I actually had a friend give me a 3000 grit sanding sponge. Was firm and I was able to sand a nice even surface on my tank to prep the clear before polishing it.

As far as the basecoat, follow what Old Man Rock said and it should help you through it.

1982 KZ1000 CSR

• ironslave
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • sup
More
01 Sep 2012 20:07 #546107 by ironslave
Replied by ironslave on topic need final sanding advice.
thanks for the advice, from what you said i was moving across too fast. never had any runs except where i accidentally stopped movement too soon. I have to get more metal cast for the tank as it isn't as dark as the side panels, the side panels look excellent though!

1981 KZ750 LTD