Anybody need a spare tank?

More
25 Aug 2012 15:44 #544734 by Salvy
Anybody need a spare tank? was created by Salvy
Hi, gang. Hope all is well over in Z world.

Getting rid of some old garage clutter and thought one of you might be able to use this tank:

tinyurl.com/8edl9lj

Here's the story:

It's from a 1981 KZ550. It was going to be my running tank while the stock tank was in the body shop. So I just wanted to make it passable, not perfect. However since sold the bike so the tank project never went forward.

It was completely trashed when I bought it - with dents and lots of nasty old stickers. Stripped it down to bare metal, primed, sprayed with rattle-can lacquer (Dupli-Color) and buffed to a passable shine. It's a reasonable facsimile of Kawi's LP Red which is no longer made, best I can tell. I coated the inside with POR-15 which is supposed to be stronger than Kreem.

It's far from perfect but would make a suitable temporary tank or a blank canvas for professional body work. It's never had fuel in it since the POR-15 went in so it's completely clean and odor-free.

It's a rattle-can job, so there is 1) inconsistencies in coverage 2) some orange peel here and there and 3) a few spots where you can see the body filler if you look at the right angle. Not glaringly obvious.

Tank only - no cap or petcock. The POR-15 got pretty thick in the petcock mounting holes so you may need to chase them with a tap or thin blade to clean the threads before mounting the valve.

I am just looking to recoup my materials cost, which is about $65. If anybody's interested before I put it up on fleabay, drop me a line at bikewriter[at]gmail.com. Shipping will be on you but I'll pack it up well with lots of protection.

Thanks.

-Sal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.