Re-Energizing The Carbon Fiber Z1/KZ Thoughts

More
15 Aug 2012 10:02 #542746 by NakedFun
Hey All,

So I know SaxJohn posted up a discussion around the idea of getting interest around Carbon Fiber body pieces for the Z1's and KZ's. It was met with lots of questions, and rightfully so. So I want to bring this up again as I have been talking with a ZRX forum member who is a dealer for Slingshot Racing who has been making the CF pieces for the ZRX crowd. Now they got enough people toegther to get the interest and have parts made, and I think we could as well. Here is the last communication with Vic.

"Cory,

The parts for the Z1/KZ would be nice, but there would have to be a lot of demand for it to be sellable. I know they have it in Japan but it is very expensive. What makes it tougher is the 73 to 75 Z1 has one type side cover and tail, and the KZ900/1000 was different. Again demand is the problem.
It costs them quite a bit to make the molds for the carbon, they use aluminum molds which is very pricey. But the mold can be reused again and again.
Some one would have to donate early Z1 tail and side covers which would basically be stripped down to bare plastic. Same for KZ parts. Now I have a 73 Z1 but I am not sure if I want to ruin the body pieces.
You can contact Will at Slingshotracing@gmail.com.

Tell him you talked to me and convince him that there is a demand for these parts. If they agree and I can sell these parts quickly then we will see what happens.

Thanks,

Vic"

So know the prices for the ZRX components which are similar in size and complexity to the Z1/KZ parts were the following prices:

Airbox covers: their retail will be $130.00, ZRXOA price special for one month will be $120.00 plus $5.00 shipping.

Front Fender: their retail will be $175.00, ZRXOA price special for one month will be $160.00 plus $5.00 shipping.

Side covers: their retail will be $150.00, ZRXOA price special for one month will be $140.00 set plus $5.00 shipping.

Dash Panel: their retail will be $120.00, ZRXOA price special for one month will be $110.00 plus $5.00 shipping.

Carbon heel guards: $48.00 free shipping.

This atleast gives you a ball park idea of pricing. Naturally this would all have to flush itself out. The parts are a 3K carbon twill laid over a fiberglass backing and bonded together with the resin. They use the same push pin setup on the ZRX, so I would guess that they could do the same for the Z1/KZ.

Thoughts on this? I would like to get a list going of interes that I can send to Vic and Will. I would be willing to send my KZ900 tail and side covers for the KZ mold and perhaps we could find someone for the older 73-75 Z1's.

Interested Parties:

NakedFun

Cory

2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
15 Aug 2012 10:12 #542749 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Re-Energizing The Carbon Fiber Z1/KZ Thoughts

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
15 Aug 2012 13:52 #542795 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic Re-Energizing The Carbon Fiber Z1/KZ Thoughts
PMC already makes some carbon bits too.

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!

More
15 Aug 2012 18:06 #542823 by NakedFun
Replied by NakedFun on topic Re-Energizing The Carbon Fiber Z1/KZ Thoughts
Yeah I did. Not real clear on the status of getting parts made by him. I PM'd him and we'll see what he says. I am not interested in trying to do my own... lol

I'll check out PMC and see what they have. I jut thought the quality and pricing that the ZRX's are getting was really good. There may not be enough people interested though.....

Cory

2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900