Marbalized painting info wanted.

More
12 Jun 2006 11:47 #53965 by kzmarvo
Marbalized painting info wanted. was created by kzmarvo
Even though i have yet to get my bike(damn dmv) am looking to mabye get a marbalized paint job on it. Anybody know anything about doing that? I have heard that foil and saran wrap are the way to do it and some ppl do it with paint but there is a marablizer you buy? Any info would be cool, probably gonna buy all the stuff before i get my bike and have a friend spray it, he has done a few cars. I would ask him about it but i dont think he knows anything about it, not sure just figured i would ask here.:blink:

Watch it folks,i have sticky fingers when it comes to a nice looking set of handle bars:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
12 Jun 2006 12:42 #53980 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic Marbalized painting info wanted.
I think you mean "marblized".

That's an all-encompassing name for a variety of techniques...

Generally, it starts with a color basecoat, usually white or a lighter base RGB - red-green-blue - covered by a clearcoat, often with embedded metallic.

Then, the various techniques come into play with single or multiple candy overcoats, everything from airbrushed patterns to taking sponges, newspaper, saran wrap, tin foil, wax paper and about anything else an imagination can come up with and mashing it into the still-tacky candy coat to randomly vary the thickness/intensity of the candy color and produce patterns in the paint.

FWIW, this looks like they used saran wrap to get a "cross-hatch" effect. They laid the wrap over the candy first at one angle, worked in the wrinkles, and then the same in a cross-wise direction...

When the desired pattern is got, the job is left to set and then cleared heavily to seal the candy and allow enough material for sanding the outer surface smooth for buffing.

Never really got into it myself, but I seen it done, and it looks sweet when done right.

I'd say buy extra and have your friend do some practice panels first.

There's also some books out there on it...

Post edited by: Pterosaur, at: 2006/06/12 15:54
Attachments:

More
12 Jun 2006 17:10 #54038 by purerider
Replied by purerider on topic Marbalized painting info wanted.
google "crazer paint"

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
12 Jun 2006 17:33 #54042 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic Marbalized painting info wanted.
purerider wrote:

google "crazer paint"

Looks good to me!

From the web site:

How To Apply Crazer

Step 1.- Prep and basecoat your part as you would any other paintjob.
Step 2.- Apply 1 medium to wet coat of Crazer to the surface.

Step 3.- Immediately use cling wrap or your choice of texturing tool to produce the desired effect. ( Apply cling wrap to the entire part then rub the cling wrap down with your hand to insure contact with surface then remove the cling wrap leaving you with a marble like finish.)

Step 4.- Let dry (Usually 3-5 mins.)

Step 5.- Topcoat with poly-urethane clear or your choice of topcoats

More
12 Jun 2006 17:39 #54045 by agawam
Replied by agawam on topic Marbalized painting info wanted.
house of kolor, they sell marblizer paint, they also sell the manual on how to do it with all the different effects. do a search in yahoo or google for house of kolor web site