Taking Care of New paint

More
12 Sep 2012 23:46 #548371 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Taking Care of New paint
Many years ago I had an Austin Healey painted by a paint guru using acrylic enamel. After it rested for 5 days in the paint room he instructed me to just gently wash it every day (or near as possible) for 90 days with cool water using no soap. The idea was that this would aid the paint curing process. It did. After 90 days he (with my pathetic help) polished the car using a very mild rubbing compound diluted by keeping water running on it throughout the process. When it was finished it looked like a piece of British Racing Green glass!

I don't know if modern paints are the same, but acrylic enamel really needs to cure before any serious polishing or waxing is performed. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Sep 2012 07:13 #548419 by Tomolu5
Replied by Tomolu5 on topic Taking Care of New paint

kzz1king wrote: After much research spurred by products listed here I bought some 3M Handglaze and Professinal wax. If you think motor oil discussions are something research wax!!
Anyhow both products work great but when do you use the handglaze? Between waxings? Confused as I have read it adds no protection to the paint.
Wayne

Use the handglaze as a cleaner before the wax goes on.:whistle:

Mine:
04 Honda rebel 250(wifes)
04 GSXR 750(bolt on galore)
98 CBR 600F3(filter, pipe, adjustable cam sprokets, dyno tune)
76 KZ900A (LTD gauge pods, crash bars, LTD(style)pipes, dyna coils and ignition,headwork and mild port cleanup by cavanaugh racing, K&N filter pods, heck I dunno.

More
16 Sep 2012 16:31 #549088 by kzz1king
Replied by kzz1king on topic Taking Care of New paint
Thanks all.

74 Z1 1075, 29 smoothbores, owned and ridden since 1976
Home built KZ1000 turbo setup

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532476...s-budget-turbo-build

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532489-74-z-makeover