dented gas tank

More
13 Jun 2006 17:02 #54311 by caffcruiser
Replied by caffcruiser on topic dented gas tank
JUSTICE114 wrote:

I just heard yesterday that you can place a large block of Dry Ice over the dent and it will pop it-self out. Dont know how true that is. Anyone heard of that tactic? Im still dealin with my dent....I think I'll call it character.....:P :P<br><br>Post edited by: JUSTICE114, at: 2006/06/13 15:53

Depending on the dent it can help. Heat expands metal, and cold contracts it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jun 2006 17:05 #54313 by caffcruiser
Replied by caffcruiser on topic dented gas tank
Werewolfx wrote:

A guy my dad used to take his truck or trailer to for repairs and especially tires, used to do somthing similar with Ether to seat the tires without using any tools. He'd lay the tire on the ground, set the wheel on the center, spray starting fluid around the edge of the wheel, yell as loud as he could as he lit it and BOOM, the first side was on..then he'd lock an air hose on the valve, spray the bead of the tire down with ether, light it and BOOM..fill to 110 psi and re-mount :blink:

Actually, a lot of people still do this. Lot's of german and japanese car tuners running stretched tires use this process to seat them. It's traditionally an old hot rod trick.

More
14 Jun 2006 13:30 #54510 by Tony
Replied by Tony on topic dented gas tank
JUSTICE114 wrote:

I just heard yesterday that you can place a large block of Dry Ice over the dent and it will pop it-self out. Dont know how true that is. Anyone heard of that tactic? Im still dealin with my dent....I think I'll call it character.....:P :P<br><br>Post edited by: JUSTICE114, at: 2006/06/13 15:53

This is what the link that I posted is all about. Using dry ice to remove dents.
Here is the link again
dent removal with dry ice

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
14 Jun 2006 17:01 #54529 by Duck
Replied by Duck on topic dented gas tank
Ice is a problem because it does not expand evenly. Best bet is to hook your garden hose to the petcock, fill her up until the water starts to flow out the filler neck, close the lid, and let the water push the dent out.

If it's gonna work, it's gonna work better than ice. Plus there's the bonus of being in control as opposed to trusting the freezer. If you see a seam start to stretch or som eexpansion where you don't want it, you can shut off the water.

More
14 Jun 2006 18:45 #54548 by kzmarvo
Replied by kzmarvo on topic dented gas tank
The ice trick worked!!!!! He left it in the freezer almost 24hrs and about 1pm today the dent was 3/4 of the way back out. He used hot water to start the melting process and right now the tank is being sanded and gonna be primered with etching primer tomorrow. Someone said dont use bondo but to use dura glass so i told him that. He was totally shocked about the ice trick as was i. One thing i will say is that if left in the freezer i could see how the tank would get ruined if left to long but all worked out GREAT!! Thanks for the input people. BTW I can get my bike monday, WOOT WOOT:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Watch it folks,i have sticky fingers when it comes to a nice looking set of handle bars:)