dented gas tank

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
12 Jun 2006 20:33 #54117 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic dented gas tank
kzmarvo wrote:

Some jackass told my friend to spray starting fluid in it at hit it with a lighter and it would pop out? true?

Oh, it'll pop all right....

One side 'll pop across the street, one side 'll pop over the backyard fence, the bottom will bury itself in a water main, and the filler neck 'll be in the next county.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jun 2006 20:38 #54120 by Werewolfx
Replied by Werewolfx on topic dented gas tank
A guy my dad used to take his truck or trailer to for repairs and especially tires, used to do somthing similar with Ether to seat the tires without using any tools. He'd lay the tire on the ground, set the wheel on the center, spray starting fluid around the edge of the wheel, yell as loud as he could as he lit it and BOOM, the first side was on..then he'd lock an air hose on the valve, spray the bead of the tire down with ether, light it and BOOM..fill to 110 psi and re-mount :blink:

Chris

More
12 Jun 2006 20:49 #54125 by kzmarvo
Replied by kzmarvo on topic dented gas tank
Well i guess i will tell him he better pass on the tank trick.I have heard of it working on seating the bead on a tire, but didnt figure it would work on a gas tank.

Watch it folks,i have sticky fingers when it comes to a nice looking set of handle bars:)

More
13 Jun 2006 08:59 #54195 by Tony
Replied by Tony on topic dented gas tank
Here's some good info using dry ice to remove dents

kzrider.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=23655

• wireman
  • Visitor
13 Jun 2006 10:55 #54219 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic dented gas tank
Werewolfx wrote:

A guy my dad used to take his truck or trailer to for repairs and especially tires, used to do somthing similar with Ether to seat the tires without using any tools. He'd lay the tire on the ground, set the wheel on the center, spray starting fluid around the edge of the wheel, yell as loud as he could as he lit it and BOOM, the first side was on..then he'd lock an air hose on the valve, spray the bead of the tire down with ether, light it and BOOM..fill to 110 psi and re-mount :blink:

yeah we used to use that trick when i was young and dumb for seating truck tires,i dont recomend it.we also would put the ol split rim wheels under the rearend of truck and ait them up hoping the rearend would contain the explosion if the ring blew off!:whistle: :sick: ive used compressed air to pop dents out of tanks before just seal the filler neck off with a valve core and the rubber around it and a hose clamp.you dont need much air be very carefull do not hold your head anywhere near the valve core incase it blws tha clamp off.:whistle: :evil:

More
13 Jun 2006 12:08 #54243 by kzmarvo
He just filled the tank with water and is gonna freeze it, think that will work?:unsure:

Watch it folks,i have sticky fingers when it comes to a nice looking set of handle bars:)

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
13 Jun 2006 12:11 #54245 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic dented gas tank
kzmarvo wrote:

He just filled the tank with water and is gonna freeze it, think that will work?:unsure:

Depends on the dent - we've never seen it...:dry:

More
13 Jun 2006 12:50 #54255 by btchalice
Replied by btchalice on topic dented gas tank
you have to be very careful and check it often. ice expands alot and can split the seams and deform the entire tank

Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.

More
13 Jun 2006 12:52 #54257 by JUSTICE114
Replied by JUSTICE114 on topic dented gas tank
I just heard yesterday that you can place a large block of Dry Ice over the dent and it will pop it-self out. Dont know how true that is. Anyone heard of that tactic? Im still dealin with my dent....I think I'll call it character.....:P :P

Post edited by: JUSTICE114, at: 2006/06/13 15:53

More
13 Jun 2006 14:01 #54276 by kzmarvo
I would put a pick on but he has the tank at his house and he has no pc. The dent is on the top of the tank right under the gas cap. It is about as big as a fist, cuz that is what caused the dent.

More
13 Jun 2006 14:30 #54281 by kzmarvo
He was asking me if the dent should pop out while in the fridge or when it is froze does he take it out and open the cap? I told him probably when he opens the cap like a frozen sode, am i right or did i tell him wrong?
He put it in the fridge around 2pm, it is now 430pm.Should take awhile to freeze that much water i would figure around 8-10pm:unsure:

More
13 Jun 2006 14:30 #54282 by kzmarvo
soda*:laugh: