Amateur flames

More
20 May 2012 14:42 #523559 by Medina
Amateur flames was created by Medina
Right side of tank was messed up from PO. Gas leak, rust, bubbly paint.
I plan on doing a frame off but not for two years. what to do till then...
I know its amateurish- its my first attempt, I didn't even take the tank off, started out just to spray touch up but wound up spending an evening with the boy screwing around.

Wet sanded off roughest areas, could have..should have..done a better job, but this was my first attempt- and honestly, I really thought I'd just do it, then before it dried wipe it off with lacquer thinner and just put an american flag sticker over the whole mess.
[img

[img

free hand large razor isn't the slickest...but I could see how it would be easier with an exacto, tank off and "next time"
[img

[img

spray can... I didn't think past the cutting out the stencil...spotted two cans of enamel spray
[img

that looked like crap..so, thought add moar
[img

At this point, I realized it was no where, anywhere close to anything..but- I also realized the potential to do it correctly...learn as you go..
[img

ample clear coat
[img

[img

ok, HUGE problem, looked perfect, well, not perfect, you know what I mean, when I applied the clear coat, the black started bleeding thru where I razored over it!! WTF
[img

[img

[img

Be kind, it was hardly pristine before I started, I wasn't terribly concerned about doing anything other than a) having fun, b) screwing around c) hiding rust/bubbling crap area

1981 KZ1100 Vetter "Luminous Navy Blue" DAMN YOU COLOR CODES!
Medina, Oh
My Bike Thread
www.kzrider.com/forum/10-new-members/469298-from-ohio

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 May 2012 15:37 #523572 by ramtough_63
Replied by ramtough_63 on topic Amateur flames
thats really cool i always tell people just go for it. experimenting is the way we learn.

my doit myself painting has blossomed into painting on my sons custom paint harley and several full paint jobs. which I would do 364 days a year if givin the oppertunity

1978 KZ1000 A2
Thrown Together To Ride Til Winter
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
and various enduros dirtbikes minibikes...

More
20 May 2012 15:42 #523576 by Medina
Replied by Medina on topic Amateur flames
I really dont know what happened with the bleed thru from the undercoat black thru the blue upper coat, I wait 20 hours, its 80 degrees out, enamel in sunlight should have cured.
very odd, I guess..the clear coat soaked into and aggressively dissolved the base coat? but no leak over around the edges, so lesson learned.
I certainly learned an exacto- off the bike, sitting at a bench would be preferable.

Medina, Oh
My Bike Thread

More
20 May 2012 16:00 #523577 by ramtough_63
Replied by ramtough_63 on topic Amateur flames
looks like razor blade cuts more than likely the clear was a little hot for the base coats and as the paint settled in the razor cuts its was still a litle soft.

I know when spraying candies in multi layers you always clear in between I never not do it so i havent experienced what happens if you dont.

I am just guessing when you spray light over dark its always a good idea to seal the dark (with thin layer of clear unless your spraying really light

I got to work on a custom job where we sprayed all the light colors first I wasnt sure if that was for technical reasons or just preference. I am leaning toward technical reasons lol

1978 KZ1000 A2
Thrown Together To Ride Til Winter
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
and various enduros dirtbikes minibikes...

More
20 May 2012 17:30 - 20 May 2012 17:46 #523589 by VenturaRider
Replied by VenturaRider on topic Amateur flames
I love that old Vetter fairing. I don't mean hijack this tread but do you like having the fairing or do your plans involve removing it if so why please?

Love your bike :woohoo: It looks it would be great for the longer hauls. ;) ;)

Box stock 75 Z1900
74 Z1900
Ventura Ca.
Last edit: 20 May 2012 17:46 by VenturaRider.

More
20 May 2012 17:45 #523596 by Medina
Replied by Medina on topic Amateur flames

ramtough_63 wrote:
I know when spraying candies in multi layers you always clear in between I never not do it so i havent experienced what happens if you dont.

Excellent. I'll do that next time. Looking real close, I sort of imagined the clear disolved the 'cut' and allowed the black to weep out a bit, so what you said makes sense to me.

VenturaRider wrote: I love that old Vetter fairing. I don't mean hijack this tread but do you like having the fairing or do your plans involve removing it if so why please?

I should post pictures of the layer of bugs, some still squirming that covered the whole front, and the line on the top of my helmet (where the screen foiled them over the top hitting it) and knees on my pants and the toes on my boots.
I will never, ever own another bike that I intend of driving more than just "around town" that does NOT have a fairing.
I have wanted this specific model of Kawasaki since the late 70's, when I could not even imagine owning one. Pleased to get one that wasn't chopped up to hell where they installed tape decks and stereos.
the flames were...just something to do, its more than likely I'll paint it the correct color when I get around to doing the frame off on it.

Medina, Oh
My Bike Thread

More
20 May 2012 17:51 #523599 by VenturaRider
Replied by VenturaRider on topic Amateur flames
Please do. Is there enough to make a stew? I'll buy the beer! :P

Box stock 75 Z1900
74 Z1900
Ventura Ca.