Need some thoughts Riders

More
24 Mar 2012 10:45 #511630 by csrjoe
Need some thoughts Riders was created by csrjoe
I have an 83 CSR650, It got a new battery This spring, It started on the very 1st try. I love my bike. I have a Mac header on it and foam airfilters. The bike is all I need. I would like to paint it, Maybe this year. I will most definely use all the great advice on this site to do it. I still have one problem with the bike though. I dont like that the gas tank is so small on how much gas she holds.
Im just thinking that has to be a way to improve the range of the bike, I have seen people make bobbers or cafe racers, they change their gastanks. So what do ya think do I have to suck it up and accepted it or do you think a custom bike shop could be a possibility. I would spend some coin to change this only problem and Just Keep it forever!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2012 12:10 #511652 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Need some thoughts Riders
Perhaps mpg could be improved.

What is existing tank capacity (full to dry)?

With full tank, how many miles until switching to reserve?

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
24 Mar 2012 14:40 - 20 Feb 2013 12:23 #511678 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic -
a 750E Standard-4 tank is supposed to be a direct bolt-on, but the CSR triple tree will bang against it when turning the handlebars lock to lock. The CSR triple tree is kinda straight across, whereas the E is angled forward. The E tank is ~4.2 gallons. You could install a 30T Rr sprocket which should increase the cruising range - not sure by how much, though.
Last edit: 20 Feb 2013 12:23 by martin_csr.

More
24 Mar 2012 15:25 #511683 by csrjoe
Replied by csrjoe on topic Need some thoughts Riders
Man thanks for posting Martin, I thought I was the only one. I really like this Old School bike its in pretty good shape for its age, mag wheels needs some paint work - think of a orange - gold color.
Man can I ever relate to the looking for a gas station bit, It is distracting having to be concerned about the next gas station. Ya kinda have to stay in a familar area with this bike or know the route.

Do you know the year that the 750E standard-4 tank is made, Or do ya know somebody on the forum I can private message. If this would I could stop looking at a new bike or another one with just a bigger mileage range haha. I usually just go crusing around the area, so the bike if I do stop is at a custer stand, Its always in my sights. I cant imagine anyone would try and steal it. and its in a secured garage when I'm not riding it.

More
24 Mar 2012 15:44 #511684 by csrjoe
I think its like 2.5 gallons. I really dont know how a sporty harley's does it, granted it does have v's but still. I looked in my clymer kz650 1977 to 1983 manual it not giving specfic capacity of a csr gas tank. and I dont have the bike in my hands right now it will be back here soon. but i think I can get 135 with reserve used. I'm thinking the headers and filters might lower my mileage a bit. My CSR doesnt smoke but I know it running rich.

More
24 Mar 2012 20:32 - 20 Feb 2013 12:20 #511734 by martin_csr
listing ended
Last edit: 20 Feb 2013 12:20 by martin_csr.

More
24 Mar 2012 20:35 - 20 Feb 2013 12:20 #511735 by martin_csr
listing ended
Last edit: 20 Feb 2013 12:20 by martin_csr.

More
25 Mar 2012 02:50 #511812 by csrjoe
Holy shit, look at the price on that baby, I have actually Pm the other seller to see if he would be interested in parting out just the tank, eh its a shot in the dark, I not that sure it well be worth the efforts cause the tank has NO petcock (dont know if it will run into the carbs anyway), It also has fairly large dent in it. and the key doesnt work in the lock for gas cap and cant really tell from pics if the tank doesnt need lining (it could be a nice project but the petcock could be a problem, I sure there are aftermarkets for them but who knows what kind of coin that could run. but still Its nice to know that this tank might fit. Thanks for the information Martin.

More
25 Mar 2012 07:55 - 20 Feb 2013 12:23 #511820 by martin_csr
I wasn't suggesting that you buy either of those tanks.... Just posted for the photos.
Last edit: 20 Feb 2013 12:23 by martin_csr.

More
31 Mar 2012 11:37 #513168 by csrjoe
Was talking with my brother yesterday. He suggested getting a piggy back tank instead of another bigger tank, eh not real sure where I could put it. by the way I did ck on the One in your post, his asking price for a tank that has a dent in it thats big to me anyway, No petcock, no ability to lock gas cap. $$150.00 bones, Whoa I was a bit suprized by his asking amount. I was thinking more like 40.00. Anybody got any thoughts how much a tank would run if the tank had a petcock that works, locking cap, and pings for dents would actualy run.?

More
31 Mar 2012 12:19 - 22 Jan 2013 00:38 #513175 by H1Vindicator
Replied by H1Vindicator on topic Need some thoughts Riders

Last edit: 22 Jan 2013 00:38 by H1Vindicator.

More
31 Mar 2012 12:23 #513176 by nobody
Replied by nobody on topic Need some thoughts Riders
hummmm how about a luggage rack on back and a gas tank out of a 1968 ford pick up ???? :laugh: :laugh: sorry about that . i had a old brit bike that did worse then that.hope you get it fixed worked out.good luck. on the other side by mid summer it will only cost you30.00 dollars to fill up :sick: :angry: :sick: :angry: