opening up gauges?????

More
20 Mar 2012 05:36 #510793 by Moshua
opening up gauges????? was created by Moshua
Does anyone have any idea how i can get to the gauge faces and replace them on a 1978 kz200/400 or something similar?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Mar 2012 08:36 - 21 Feb 2013 15:43 #510806 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic -
Last edit: 21 Feb 2013 15:43 by martin_csr.

More
20 Mar 2012 09:16 #510813 by osage
Replied by osage on topic opening up gauges?????
I took mine apart by using a small blade screwdriver to pry the back of the chrome ring. Just worked around rim slowly. Then used small curved jawed pliers to straighten the rim enough to slip it of my tach. I need to replace broken glass and needle. I have read that needle can be lifted off by sliding a table fork under it then slowly pry it up.
I just replaced my internals with another one from early 80's KZ750. The used one I bought was also missing its glass. Found single strength glass to be correct thickness.

1976 KZ750B1
1982 KZ750H3

More
20 Mar 2012 09:43 #510816 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic opening up gauges?????
This link may be of interest:
Click > www.zresto.com/

Here's a diy option from an earlier thread ---

duncan wrote:
i've taken the tach apart but not the speedo. it's real easy if you use a dremel to cut the chrome ring, and then some jweld and hose clamp to cement it back together.

apeman wrote:
The old article suggests removing the band around the gauges by levering it up from the underside. I have found that results in too much damage to the band to make it look good after it is put back on, and crimped down. Therefore, I instead took a dremel with a cut-off wheel to the band, and sliced through it, being carefull not to damage the gauge cover. Then I slipped off the band, and did my gauge clean-up. To reinstall, I assembled the cover onto the gauge, slipped the band on, and held it tightly in place with a rubber band. Then I placed a drop of JBweld epoxy onto the gap in the band, and let it dry. (Make sure you mount the gap in the band at an location that will not be readily visible when the gauge is remounted onto the bike.) That has been working well for over a year.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
20 Mar 2012 14:17 #510851 by osage
Replied by osage on topic opening up gauges?????
I just finished crimping mine back together. I did not think about taking pics until I was done. Its not as smooth on back as the factory crimp but the top n sides look good. I just used hand pressure with a flat punch to roll edge of the ring over the back plate of the tach. Then I used same punch and small hammer to finish crimp. I supported the gauge on vice jaws padded with a shop towel.

Attachment P1010129.JPG not found

Attachment P1010130.JPG not found

Attachment P1010131.JPG not found

This will be my first attempt to attach files.

1976 KZ750B1
1982 KZ750H3
Attachments:

More
21 Mar 2012 14:53 #511058 by btchalice
Replied by btchalice on topic opening up gauges?????
years ago i designed a lot of custom faces with photoshop that people could have printed to change theirs while it was apart , if you scan yours i could change it if you wanted kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/34492-kz650-white-gauge-faces

Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.