powder coating the engine

More
12 Feb 2012 21:19 #503573 by shadow44
powder coating the engine was created by shadow44
OK opening a big can of worms here... :ohmy: I know some people say no, and some say yes.

Powder coating the motor.. has anyone done it? I am looking for success failure stories here, not opinions. Eastwood says yes it can be done, without problems, I am leery.

BTW I gotz me a powder coat gun and man am I impressed with what I can do right here at my house! My KZ is going to come out lookin new! I love powder coat! :woohoo:

Remember, the government can not give you anything they have not first, taken from someone else.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
12 Feb 2012 22:16 #503590 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic powder coating the engine
Yes, Powdercoat is great. But if you are going to clean and prep your block enough to powdercoat.
It is ready for an aerosol paint. Paint the block, and powder the covers.
Here is a set of Z1 covers done in black.
I paint my heads, barrels and blocks.

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: shadow44

More
13 Feb 2012 01:35 #503656 by jordan
Replied by jordan on topic powder coating the engine
I have done both and can't really say which I prefer. I did covers, cases, cylinders, and head on a buddy of mines motor and they look really good but the amount of prep work I put into it was outrageous. The last motor I did was done with aerosol paint because we were not splitting the cases. Both look very good still. If you have the motor fully stripped, free of rubber/gaskets, and clean as a whistle I guess why not powder coat it? Just be careful to keep the powder out of where it shouldn't be. I also recently began powdercoating and love it. I have very good luck with eastwood powders. Although the eastwood gun was very cheap and seems chincy. I'm looking into a king coat system and am building an oven big enough for a motorcycle frame.

KZ810 streetfighter kz/gpz/gsxr
1983 gs1100e
1979 KZ 1000 1428 dragbike project
1974 kawasaki H1 500 sold :(
1972 Kawasaki s2 350-parted on ebay :(
1973 Kawasaki s2 350-parted on ebay :(
1982 kz750(sold)
1978 kz650 hardtail(sold)
1975 honda xl250-sold
1971 yamaha R5-sold
1982 yamaha xs400

More
13 Feb 2012 03:40 #503668 by matt_finish
Replied by matt_finish on topic powder coating the engine
I've been powercoating the cases, jug, covers, etc. the past 4 years on the vintage mx restorations we have done. We were worried about heat disipation at first, but there hasn't been an overheating issue yet, and it is very durable and fuel resistant... perfect for what those old bikes are being put through.

If you have it completely apart, my vote is for powder, The one problem I've come across is porosity in the cases, that will cause little bubbles in the powder that looks like solvent pop...

Matt.

1980 kz250d1
1981 husky 250xc

prior builds:
1982 kz440ltd (in the kz400.com site under 440cafeish)
1999 triumph 955i
several zundapp 50cc-250cc builds
(plus more bikes than I'd like to admit)
I am an instructor of automotive refinishing and repair at the collegiate level, so I can generally help...

More
13 Feb 2012 18:22 #503766 by shadow44
Replied by shadow44 on topic powder coating the engine
Thanks guys. :woohoo: I was just sure I could find someine willing to step up. That's just what I wanted to hear. thanks soooo much!! :woohoo:

Remember, the government can not give you anything they have not first, taken from someone else.

More
14 Feb 2012 03:28 #503920 by Zedone
Replied by Zedone on topic powder coating the engine
I would powder it, I would also outgas the parts after they have been blasted, after they have been outgassed, blast them one final time and use laytex gloves handling the parts during the powder & oven stages.

The next best procedure would be a Guncoat type of application which still envolves the use of an oven. Forum member "Roy" from Norway did a wackload on his J model and he was real happy with the results.

Powdercoating gets a bad rap from some people and I don't know why :( (there is alot of BAD rumors floating around) it is the best method for coating and the results are beautiful and will take way more abuse than anything shot with a rattle can, this is not my opinion but fact!

Those covers look really good Z1KZonly

1977 KZ1000A1
1977 KZ1000A1 (Superbike Project)
1969 Chevrolet C/10 Short Fleet

More
20 Feb 2013 22:23 #573383 by shadow44
Replied by shadow44 on topic powder coating the engine
update
:woohoo:

Attachments: