reseal gastank question

More
08 Feb 2012 18:12 #502829 by 3zs
reseal gastank question was created by 3zs
hope this is in the right spot, move if ness...new to site, my buddy hooked me up, have been riding these things ('74 Z1, '76 KZ900, '79 LTD 1000. he has '76 KZ900 and '78 LTD 1000 also) for years. now to question: have resealed tank once many years ago and now it seems to be peeling off.(rust under seal) what is best way to remove old seal and reapply new? can these tanks be blasted on inside? ideas, opinions and experience welcome. thx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Feb 2012 18:32 - 08 Feb 2012 18:35 #502834 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic reseal gastank question
i am just parroting info i found on the web.

a mixture of 10 % ETHYL METHYL KETONE ( MEK) and 90% Xylene Will dissolve the kreem I had some mixed in a can at work so I took some flakes of the kreem and put the flakes in a container and pored the mixture in and i dissolved very quickly. Lacquer thinner won't effect kreem much at all.

they also say that acetone will disolve it.

hth,ymmv.

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0
Last edit: 08 Feb 2012 18:35 by 531blackbanshee.

More
08 Feb 2012 18:55 #502838 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic reseal gastank question
The "official" Kreem website recommends acetone to remove the product, and says necessary to only partially fill the tank because the fumes take care of lining above the acetone level in the tank.
Google Kreem Removal for several articles on the subject.

I've had good success with acetone to remove Kreem liner, being careful because acetone eats paint.
Bought 3 gallons of acetone from Lowes and pretty much filled the tank (not relying on fumes).
The acetone worked quickly, and in just a few minutes all the Kreem completely dissolved into the acetone, without drama, and flushed away with the acetone into a catch bucket.

Of course, tank is removed from bike during the entire Kreem removal operation.

Side note -- Used a large clean metal container to dump the mess from the tank, filtered it through some coffee filters and reused the slightly milky acetone for hardcore non-bike cleaning jobs.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
08 Feb 2012 23:57 #502901 by 3zs
Replied by 3zs on topic reseal gastank question
thx for quick reply and great info, ill try the acetone.

More
09 Feb 2012 02:01 #502916 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic reseal gastank question

3zs wrote: ...what is best way to remove old seal and reapply new? can these tanks be blasted on inside? ideas, opinions and experience welcome. thx

After removing Kreem, would remove any residual rust (by method of choice) and not reapply any liner, Kreem or otherwise.

If tank is to be re-painted, and a liner is desired for whatever reason, a radiator shop can boil out the tank and apply a good liner.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD