The best way to store a tank?

More
04 Feb 2012 12:42 #501978 by grubdog
The best way to store a tank? was created by grubdog
I am currently restoring my LTD, and decided that an extra tank may not be a bad idea; since they are getting difficult to find in good condition.

Some background: I "Kreem" coated one LTD tank, and I took my time to do it right; though I an hearing that Kreem is not a good product. The other tank has very little surface rust on the inside..and it looks really nice on the outside. I would like to know which tank to store, and which one to use. If I store a tank, should I coat the inside with something?

The next question that I have, is there a reliable restoration service available for motorcycle tanks? I checked out Tank Renu, which looks like a solid process...and expensive. I don't want to waste money on something that is unnecessary, but this bike is something that I will own for the rest of my life; I don't like skimping on something that is special to me. When this baby is finally finished, I plan to post pics of her on this site. The bike is immaculate, and is in better-than-new condition (except for the tank).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Feb 2012 12:49 #501980 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic The best way to store a tank?
You may want to store the tank that is not "Kreemed" by filling or at least coating the inside of it with kerosene. Kerosene is not as volitile as gasoline - so less chance of explosion, plus it is somewhat oily which should help prevent rust formation. If you decide to coat it with kerosene or something else just check it once every month or so to make sure rust is not forming. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: grubdog

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
04 Feb 2012 13:20 #501985 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic The best way to store a tank?
Mine sat for 18 years with a full tank of high octane , when I drained it the tank was perfect .
2 years ago I got her started but realized that I didn't have the funds to go further so I added Marvels Mystery oil to the fresh gas about 50-50 and splash it around every once in a while when I think about it.

I just took a look inside the tank and it looks pretty good, a little surface rust here and there but very light
probably due to the new fuel.

Next time I would probably go straight Marvels or Kerosene.

Got some clear fuel line filters for when the time comes.

JD

78 KZ1000 A2A
The following user(s) said Thank You: grubdog

More
04 Feb 2012 15:05 #502002 by grubdog
Replied by grubdog on topic The best way to store a tank?
Marvels is a great idea. We used that stuff in our semis. I'll just use straight Marvels. Thanks!

More
05 Feb 2012 14:40 #502238 by Rail
Replied by Rail on topic The best way to store a tank?
I've got a friend that has lots of old bikes stored. He fills them up with the old oil that comes from changing oil in his cars.

More
05 Feb 2012 18:03 #502269 by jonnybravo
Replied by jonnybravo on topic The best way to store a tank?
Kreem u were saying

Attachment Kreem_2012-02-05.jpg not found

Attachments:

More
06 Feb 2012 14:55 #502393 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic The best way to store a tank?
Kreem gets a bad rap. I have used it for years with really good results. It is all in the prep work. Most people don't take the time to prep the tank correctly. If the prep work is not done correctly then it doesn't make any differecne what brand of sealer you use.

More
06 Feb 2012 16:02 #502402 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic The best way to store a tank?
I have a friend that stores his tanks full of gas in those big plastic containers that are used for closet storage.
His bikes are in the basement of his house and he is concerned about the fumes igniting with a open flame from his gas furnace. It must work as his bikes have been in there a long time. Probably $100.000 of Z1 and parts.
As far as the inside goes,I would just coat it with a light oil. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
06 Feb 2012 16:50 #502412 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic The best way to store a tank?
Use marine fogging oil, no gas.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
06 Feb 2012 17:31 #502415 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic The best way to store a tank?
I have been told full or empty and I try to stick to that. Works for me so far - I do use some Stabil over the winter when I store it full. Some oil of some kind in an empty tank is not a bad idea to prevent any flash rusting.

More
07 Feb 2012 00:33 #502471 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic The best way to store a tank?

As far as the inside goes,I would just coat it with a light oil.

I pour in clean motor oil, enough to coat the inside plus a bit.
Coat the inside by rotating the tank in every dirrection, letting it sit for a while, then flip it some more letting it sit again in a different position.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s