Need help on deciding what color to paint my MKII

More
17 Feb 2012 20:34 #504740 by RonKZ650

spdygon wrote: new to site but my brother has a 78 mk11 and its all black with red and gold strips. have not seen one yet.

1979 was the first MKII although of course is was actually manufactured in 1978 and only came in red or blue. 1980 was black but was never officially called a MKII. 1979 is the only "official" MKII. Just for info, so if your brother has a 1978 in black, that's why you've never seen one, as they weren't made. :P

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2012 17:31 #505683 by Mollylab
I'm just finishing the restoration on my '79 KZ 1000 MK II also, it was originally red but I had it repainted luminous blue, and it looks really sharp. I bought a pinstriping kit from Z1, to do the detailing on the tank, side covers and rear fender, just wondering if anyone knows the exact measurements for applying the striping to each of the parts to be detail, or where I can get this information.
Thanks,

More
04 Mar 2012 17:39 #507750 by Breaker19

300kph wrote: Thinking about doing a re-paint and replicating one of the factory colors.

It's factory red now but the tank has a couple scrapes and the decals on the sidecovers are a bit peely and the tail deck has a couple gouges from a carrier. People say to leave it but I think I can ace the factory color. Opinions?

The bike is in such nice shape and has low miles I think it would really benefit from a re-paint. I like the blue as well since I logged a lot of miles on a blue 79 when I worked at a Kawi shop in the day.
What color should i go with taking into account mass appeal, re-sale value and general consensus.

Luminous Dark Red?
Luminous navy Blue?

Could always paint it '80 black but that would be changing it to sometthing other than stock so that's probably out.

Wayne

Duplicolor Toyota paint code 3R3 (metallic Barcelona Red) matches my 1982 KZ1100A2 original paint exactly. Same metalic, etc. $5.95 a can. Sprays great too. You may have to play with a base color to get the shade of red you seek (i.e. darker versus lighter).

2003 Suzuki DR650 Dual-Sport
1982 KZ1100A2 - GONE! Traded-in for a '12 Concours 14
www.facebook.com/pages/Moto-Resto/169238286503527