choices

More
29 Jan 2012 16:25 #500678 by Quag
choices was created by Quag
Hello people i need a bit of advice.
I have a 1980 KZ750E and I'm slowly doing a rolling restoration.
So far I have changed the front/rear ends. larger disks up front/steel braided lines. Cal fab aluminum swingarm and uprated shocks out back. Wheels from a KZ650 powdercoated black.
Now the new forks (well new to the bike) need new seals, so im gonna change the springs as well.
My question is should I powder coat the forks?
I eventually will be repainting the bodywork and probably redoing if not changing the seat. But I dont want it too look too far from stock.
As I see it i have 4 options.
1. Powder coat black to match the wheels
2. Powder coat aluminum to make look original but easier to keep looking clean
3. Powder coat to whatever colour I paint the bike (probably blue or red) but then I'd have to decide pretty soon on what colour iI'd make the bike.
4. Just polish them up a bit.
Any thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
29 Jan 2012 16:30 #500680 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic choices
what it looks like is a personal thing. i would recommend looking through the gallery . try to find a combination that turns your crank. :)

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
29 Jan 2012 17:00 #500689 by Quag
Replied by Quag on topic choices
Yeah thats the problem according to my wife i have no sense of style and aside from choosing her as a wife i gotta admit she kinda has a point!
ATM am leaning toward black or aluminum. originally it was a black swingarm with aluminum forks
so maybe black forks with aluminum swingarm might be nice, but then aluminum all around is cool too. then again clour matched to bodywork would be cool as well.
the calipers have gone from black to aluminum when i changed to larger disks.
Oh yeah new shocks are black piggyback types. when i get a photo ill post it
In past ive had a red and a blue kz650 (forks and engines painted to match) but dont want that this time.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
29 Jan 2012 17:49 - 29 Jan 2012 17:51 #500691 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic choices
sounds like u would be happy with just about any combo then. :P
so maybe u should persue low maintanance,powder coat, if u r not into that constant pollishing thing.
i usde the VTH caliper paint on my cals, and it is standing up like, well,just tits. ;)

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)
Last edit: 29 Jan 2012 17:51 by mark1122.