Is automotive paint okay for gas tanks?

More
30 Dec 2011 12:35 #495282 by grubdog
I am preparing to paint my bike, and I was wondering if it is okay to use automotive paint on my tank. My concern is whether automotive paint is fuel resistant or not. In addition, are there any caveats to consider when painting a tank? I have a couple of creases that I will more than likely glaze. I was planning to shoot it with a GM black that a friend of mine has left over.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Dec 2011 12:55 #495287 by ramtough_63
Replied by ramtough_63 on topic Is automotive paint okay for gas tanks?
When you say automotive paint I assume you mean a 2 or 3 part paint paint hardener thinner etc..

Yes its what is used there are several types laquor, acrylic enamal, eurathane epoxies, water base etc..

there are single stage paints that do not need clear. There are 2 stage paints paint and clear, and tricoats base coat usualyy a light or dark color or metalflake then a semi transparant color and then clear as well as candies that fall in the tricoat catagory all of which is fine for motocycle use

the key is not to blow gas all over any fresh paint be it krylon or 1000.00 a pint dupont tricolor.

even the best paint will not withstand a good soaking of gas when its new it will lift or eat into it. I have used automotive paint and had it lift and used rattle can and it been fine so

prep is the key

1978 KZ1000 A2
Thrown Together To Ride Til Winter
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
and various enduros dirtbikes minibikes...
The following user(s) said Thank You: grubdog

More
30 Dec 2011 13:05 #495290 by grubdog
Replied by grubdog on topic Is automotive paint okay for gas tanks?
Earlier, I was reading a post on this forum, and the author warned to make certain that the paint that you use is fuel resistant. In the past, I have always taken care to keep fuel off of my finish. I've never had paint bubble-up on me. This particular black color that I want to use (free of charge) is really mirror-like. HOK makes a pretty good looking jet black, and I used it on a Harley that I used to have. That was back in 92, and I know that the EPA has altered the way paints are manufactured since then.

More
30 Dec 2011 13:06 #495291 by grubdog
Replied by grubdog on topic Is automotive paint okay for gas tanks?
This paint is a two-stage

More
30 Dec 2011 14:35 #495306 by ramtough_63
Replied by ramtough_63 on topic Is automotive paint okay for gas tanks?
yeah the new EPA regs and some states require low VOC and other new paint requirements. I would say any Automotive grade paint (House of Kolor) is considered fuel resistant when its applied correctly. My exwife and her husband own a few body shops and the new waterbase paints that will be required in the future will litteraly wash off at the carwash ubtil they are cured correctly, or cleared with a traditional paint. people always want a bottle of touchup with a repair and it lasts until you wash you car lol

1978 KZ1000 A2
Thrown Together To Ride Til Winter
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
and various enduros dirtbikes minibikes...

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
30 Dec 2011 16:24 #495314 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic Is automotive paint okay for gas tanks?
Lacquer will soften up when gas hits it unless you shoot a two part clear over it. Any two part auto paint will work better than a straight lacquer. Even so keep the fuel off of the paint if possible

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL