Looking for decent mirrors

More
12 Dec 2011 15:47 #492813 by Juan1
Looking for decent mirrors was created by Juan1
Can anyone recommend some relatively vibe-free, rectangular mirrors? I lane split on occasion, so bar ends are out.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Dec 2011 17:54 #492837 by gengomerpyle
Replied by gengomerpyle on topic Looking for decent mirrors
lane splitting is a dumb move, all it takes is for someone to block you off as your going thru and there will be no more Juan1.

Juan1 wrote: Can anyone recommend some relatively vibe-free, rectangular mirrors? I lane split on occasion, so bar ends are out.

1982 GPZ750R1 ELR
1978 Honda CB750F SuperSport
1971 Honda CB750K
1970 Honda CL100 Scrambler

More
12 Dec 2011 18:05 - 19 Feb 2013 13:13 #492839 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Mirrors mirrorsz mirrorz convex convexz
KZR - Bitch'n Mirror Hunt

KZR - Best mirrors I have ever bought and used. .
Taiwan CONVEX GLASS MIRRORSZ MIRRORZ Mirrors mirrorsz mirrorz convex convexz
Last edit: 19 Feb 2013 13:13 by martin_csr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juan1

More
12 Dec 2011 18:34 #492841 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic Looking for decent mirrors
For those who don't have any experience lane sharing, it seems like one step below committing suicide. However, results speak for themselves. Accidents while lane splitting have been scientifically proven over time ("time" being a number of years, not just a specific week) by a non-motorcycle-lobbying body to be safer in most conditions than not lane sharing.

When I first moved to California, I was terrified of sharing. Heck, it took me two weeks before I ventured out on the freeways. I've been here for just about two years and haven't had any issues, other than the occasional jealous driver trying to make your life miserable by giving you less space than what's legally required. During some conditions (bumper to bumper, stop and go traffic, traffic moving at 15 mph through construction zones, etc.) it's safer to share than risk being rear-ended by some princess yapping on her cell phone.

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!

More
12 Dec 2011 21:28 #492860 by ramtough_63
Replied by ramtough_63 on topic Looking for decent mirrors
with cars?? I wanna read that study

1978 KZ1000 A2
Thrown Together To Ride Til Winter
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
and various enduros dirtbikes minibikes...

More
12 Dec 2011 22:07 #492869 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic Looking for decent mirrors

ramtough_63 wrote: with cars?? I wanna read that study

Now, keep in mind, some of these come from biased sources. Laneshare.org for one :whistle: Also, this will be my last post on the subject as I certainly don't want this turning into an unnecessary heated debate. If you don't want to lane split, don't. B)

www.ridetowork.org/files/docs/ODOTLaneSharingStudy.pdf

www.ridetowork.org/files/docs/LANE_SHARI...ain&utm_medium=email

The Oct 2011 Motorcycle Consumer News has an interesting article on lane sharing and makes the case that it is moto safety solution. Some of the points:
· California has fewer fatal rear-end moto crasher than similar moto states (AZ, FL, TX) as well as the US as a whole. CA has one of the lowest rates of rear-end moto cycling collisions.
· A moto stopped behind a cage is in a danger zone.
· A moto impacted from the rear exposes the moto and rider to an in-line full force contact with a high potential for serious injury or fatality – even in a common 5 mph impact.
· Lane changes by cages without proper signaling or illegally crossing in and out of HOV lanes are the most common danger to lane-sharing motos.
· A moto crash resulting from lane-sharing will likely be less serious to the rider than a direct rear end contact.
· Also riders have more of a chance to recover or take evasive action from a lane changing cage.
· European studies indicated lane-sharing was a factor in less 1-5% of moto crashes.

www.laneshare.org/index.html

Now help Juan find some mirrors! ;)

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!

More
12 Dec 2011 23:01 - 12 Dec 2011 23:13 #492879 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic Looking for decent mirrors
Cali? I've been there. I wouldn't dream of riding on those highways. In fact I would give up riding altogehter if I had to ride there all the time. The law states that you can only lane split if traffic is not moving. This is cool, yet bikes buzz you on one wheel sometimes, or at least always fly by when you are driving which is a bit disconcerting.

As far as riding I liked it when the traffic was not moving but people switch lanes without looking. People there are highly distracted so being in a lane is probably less safe than splitting.I was nervous the whole time as I was constantly told stories about the ER from my cousins who are doctors and my brother's wife who is a nurse. Hell, I would say it's a step, but I don't know if Cali is the best place to ride other than you can ride almost 24/7.

I haven't tried riding the canyons but I live in Chicago the place where most people say is crazy till they have been to Florida or California. In florida the people ALL ARE FREAKING CRAZY and the riding straight lines SUCKS Cali I love it but it seems that the poplulation is so incredibly stretched out it seems like one huge megalopolous.
My new favorite place to ride is in the mountains of Tennessee and even side roads of Kentucky. There all my zrx brothers rode like bats outta hell and not once all day did we encounter traffic or even police. I was riding in heaven all the corners I wore the outsides of my tires out before the insides! Love it. Never had that happen here in Chicago. Was riding 80-90 the whole day. We encountered the few police there and they were good ol boys who admired our rides and didn't say one word about our speed and even some of the guys were doing donuts in the parking lot in front of the po po. Now that is in my idea a biker's paradise.

Too damned many cops in Cali. I rode my brother's steeds when there and mine shortly as I will be trailering there for xmas. Let me know where you are located and maybe, if you have time, you could show me where all the bikers ride for fun. I was on the five coming back from LA to Laguna Hills and had my bros gixxer 100 doing almost flat out 188 and decided to stop while I was still a free man with a girlfriend that gave me good love unlike the jail time I'd be facing if caught and the stretch limos I'd be riding after I got out of jail. Like the song goes "My Maserati does 185, I lost my license, now I don't drive." lol

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200
Last edit: 12 Dec 2011 23:13 by saxjonz.

More
12 Dec 2011 23:22 #492880 by ramtough_63
Replied by ramtough_63 on topic Looking for decent mirrors
Yeah in Indiana lane changers have nearly taken me out out more than once. That same 20 something woman yacking on her cell phone putting on her makeup in an excursion/Tahoe Husbands 4X4 truck and many others that may or may not check her mirror let alone look as she darts 2 lanes over to hit the turn lane for the mall is the same one who rearends bikes in every State.

Loud Pipes Save Lives

I would have to think anyone on 2 wheels for more than the summer they got divorced. has shared a lane or split lanes on occasion But I have never considered it safe.
nice to know there is documentation to verify this when I fight the reckless driving ticket LOL

And Yes I like the KY "backroads" we have great State Rds that twist through the Countryside. with very little traffic its a great ride.

I put the rectangel Superbike mirrors on my KZ I with the Superbike Bars they are not ideal with such a low bar but would be great with a little taller handlebar.

1978 KZ1000 A2
Thrown Together To Ride Til Winter
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
and various enduros dirtbikes minibikes...

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
12 Dec 2011 23:50 - 12 Dec 2011 23:52 #492884 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Looking for decent mirrors
I lane split up here in Canada and nobody even blinks.

Its illegal but the cops dont give a shit. You can roll right up on them and blast past - they dont even give chase - never a ticket.

I always like to see them see me in thier mirrors. That way I know, they know I'm there. Else I would creep up, just stay back some till they look right at me. ...and yes, you really need to be careful of those princesses on thier cells. Actually had one give me the finger after almost killing me - driving at me in the wrong lane. :blink:

OH YEAH! Sorry... try Z1Enterprises.com for some decent mirrors.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)
Last edit: 12 Dec 2011 23:52 by TeK9iNe.

More
13 Dec 2011 00:58 #492891 by kpier998
Replied by kpier998 on topic Looking for decent mirrors
Buy OEM if possible. I have experienced considerably less vibration using original equipment than aftermarket mirrors.

More
13 Dec 2011 03:28 #492901 by Juan1
Replied by Juan1 on topic Looking for decent mirrors
The basic theory on lane sharing being safer is that you reduce the incidence of being hit from behind more than you increase the risk of someone changing lanes and hitting you.

When I say I lane split, I don't mean that I always lane split. Off of the freeway I only share lanes when traffic is stopped at a red light. On the freeway, I only lane split when all of the following are true:

1. There are 3+ lanes
2. Traffic is moving slower than 25 MPH.
3. I'm in an area with minimal lane changing (not many busy off-ramps are present).

When all of the conditions are met, I split the left-most two lanes, and I drive 5-10 MPH faster than traffic.