Seat and Tank Paint Issue

More
29 Nov 2011 09:49 #490636 by grubdog
Seat and Tank Paint Issue was created by grubdog
I have a question concerning how the seat meets the tank on my LTD. It seems that the seat rides up on the back portion of the tank, and consequently scuffs-up the paint.

At first, I wanted to have the seat re-upholstered so that it did not make contact with the back of the tank, plus I do not care for the large step-style seat anyway; I prefer the flatter A-style seat. I suppose that the step seat serves it's purpose for a second rider (probably more comfy). I didn't know if I could have an upholsterer make a flat seat using my pan. Additionally, I wondered if the seat needs to make contact with the tank for some reason; it is only secured with a rubber strap "thingy" in the back.

The other thing that I thought of, was to apply one of those tank protectors-like on the modern super bikes. I do not care for that particular option, because I love the look of the tank, and I'd hate to have that in my "view". Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
29 Nov 2011 09:56 #490638 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic Seat and Tank Paint Issue
1. There is seat foam available at AmericanClassix.com in the A style which you ought to be able to use in your seat pan. They also have an aftermarket seat cover to go with it from SaddleMen that isn't terrible (although if you are looking for a perfect match for the original A style seat, it probably isn't what you want).
2. Yes, the seat helps hold the tank on at the back, although this should only be an issue if the bike is turned upside down (i.e. a flip) or jolted vertically (i.e. big bump).
3. I would think using some protective film (I believe 3M sells some clear film that can be used) trimmed to the seat shape on the tank would help to prevent tank damage - I have the same issue on my tank and will be doing something similar. This will keep it out of view while still providing the protection to the tank's paint.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.