how to make my motor look like that KZR bike at the top

More
18 May 2006 19:59 #48346 by dan76kz900
I am planning on painting my motor soon. I am going to do gloss black engien paint. My plan is to take the aluminum covers off and polish them, and then paint the case and clyinder head black.

I have been admiring the looks of that motor on that Z on KZR's webpage up at the top. I want to make mine look like that one :)

How do I make my fins like that ? Ive heard of block sanding the fins - is that what they did on that motor ? The edges look thick - did they sand alot down ?

Also, I've been thinking of finding some chrome engien bolts - my stainless steel ones arent looking that great. Any ideas ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
18 May 2006 20:15 #48349 by Pterosaur
dan76kz900 wrote:

...How do I make my fins like that ? Ive heard of block sanding the fins - is that what they did on that motor ? The edges look thick - did they sand alot down ?

That's exactly how it's done - start with 220 wet on a block. How much you take off is up to you - you can give it a "fine line" look, or sand 'em back to their full thickness. Once you get to the desired line thickness, go to 400, then 600, then 1000 grit papers - then finish with Simichrome or Blue Magic or whatever polish makes you happy...

The finish on the '73 Z1 inner cases, jugs, heads and valve cover wasn't gloss - it was satin-flat. PJ's sells a hi-temp rattlecan version. And once you paint 'em - BAKE 'EM at 200-250' in an oven for at least an hour - sets the paint and gets rid of girlfriends, groupies and wives in a big hurry as a side benefit... :sick:

• wireman
  • Visitor
18 May 2006 20:22 #48353 by wireman
you might want to start with a coarse double cut file and get things roughed into shape before you start blocksanding.:whistle: ;)

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
18 May 2006 23:57 #48375 by Pterosaur
wireman wrote:

you might want to start with a coarse double cut file and get things roughed into shape before you start blocksanding.:whistle: ;)

That's true, you can, but using *that* kind of artillery, you can get into "oops" territory pretty quickly. Especially if swinging a double-cut ain't part of your everyday existence. Everybody's mileage varies...

More
19 May 2006 00:10 #48378 by Mark Wing
I did my covers with metal polish and a buffing wheel on a bench grinder. I painter my jugs and cases simi-gloss black and did the fins by hand starting with 80 grit then i50.
Mark

Post edited by: Mark Wing, at: 2006/05/19 03:21

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

More
19 May 2006 07:16 #48441 by dan76kz900
Oh, so they did sand down alot on that motor in the picture. Hmm.. maybe I'll do it. My idea was to paint first then sand.

Mark: Looks good ! I plan to sand my covers 400, 800, 1500 then hit it on the buffing wheels with tripoli then rogue compound :)

Any idea for the bolts, anyone ??

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
19 May 2006 07:27 #48445 by Pterosaur
dan76kz900 wrote:

Oh, so they did sand down alot on that motor in the picture. Hmm.. maybe I'll do it. My idea was to paint first then sand.

That's how it's done - paint first. Saves a couple of steps...

Any idea for the bolts, anyone ??

Keep an eye on Ebay - there's generally a set of some type of gizmo bolt set listed - and there's always the usual Z1 Enterprises, Ron Ayers, etc...

• wireman
  • Visitor
19 May 2006 07:49 #48453 by wireman
id get them close first before you paint them,then fine tune afterwards that way you dont have to worry so much about banging up the paint.;)

More
10 Jan 2007 09:34 #104698 by Robjb84
Sorry to dig up such an ancient thread, but is it at all feasable to hand paint (with a brush) the fins? :o Or does the whole thing really need to be taken apart and sprayed? Or perhaps everything else on the bike can be masked up/covered and spray them with the bike on the centerstand?

Sorry, I am fully aware that I am a noob with this kind of thing. Just love the black fin look :o

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
10 Jan 2007 10:01 #104699 by Pterosaur
Robjb84 wrote:

Sorry to dig up such an ancient thread, but is it at all feasable to hand paint (with a brush) the fins? :o Or does the whole thing really need to be taken apart and sprayed? Or perhaps everything else on the bike can be masked up/covered and spray them with the bike on the centerstand?

Strictly speaking, sure you can - but one thing to keep in mind is whether the results will be worth it. When it comes to appearance, there's no such thing as a free lunch, and 5 minute shortcuts invariably come out looking worth just about every minute spent in prep/application.

I can think of about a dozen ways to shortcut the process, and a couple of dozen reasons why even if it was done by someone of even moderate experience, it'd start looking like hell in a hurry.

There's sure to be at least half a dozen shorcuts suggested, some of which are even do-able, and even somewhat effective in the short term - but there's reasons why they're shortcuts to begin with.

The biggest problem here is metal prep - aluminum is dodgy enough to get paint to stick to when properly prepped - just slathering it on with a brush is asking to see strips of your new paint peel off in the next breeze.

Learn to do it right, and the reasonable shortcuts become obvious.

Sorry, I am fully aware that I am a noob with this kind of thing. Just love the black fin look :o

No problem there; everybody starts out like that - but just like decent paint jobs, there's very few *valid* shortcuts to experience.

More
10 Jan 2007 10:07 #104700 by Robjb84
Well in that case do I somehow need to get the engine out of the frame :o and I assume I can pull apart the particular fin section?

I guess my worst fear is attempting something like that and unknowingly ruining something :P

More
10 Jan 2007 10:11 #104701 by ltdrider
I came across a polishing product called Mr. Buffer. I found it on a Voyager site, and they all swear by it. These Voyager people are SERIOUS engine polishers, and they claim great results with Mr. Buffer.
I couldn't find it in my area, so I ordered a bottle ($12.99 plus shipping) from their web page.
I'm told that if you start with a smooth aluminum surface, that it'll take it to a mirror finish faster than anything. And it leaves some kind of protective coating so it stays shiny.
Here's the link:
www.mrbuffer.com/
Anyone ever try this stuff?

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC