McGuyver this sensor -Om my

More
15 May 2006 10:21 #47414 by guavatone
McGuyver this sensor -Om my was created by guavatone
:ohmy:
While getting the rust out of my tank I disolved my fuel sensor and the plate was leaking with the new fuel so I had to act quick to avoid rust getting into my tank.
I noticed that the fuel was leaking from the area where the sensor. So I pulled/cut that area out and drilled with a 1/4 bit and the idea was to put a bolt tru there with plastic washers and an o-ring.

Fuel sensor before mcguyver

After drilling

first bolt, this leaked

second bolt try, this leaked less. There is a plastic washer on the outside and an o-ring nd thin metal washer inside. The problem is that the hole is not small enough and slightly square. Also the inside surface is not quite flat so I ground some of it to make a better surface but it still has a very slow leak.

I am using a 8mm bolt - my plan now is to tap a 5/16" or 3/8" thread. off to the hardware store.....very un-mcguyver

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 May 2006 14:24 #47473 by guavatone
Replied by guavatone on topic McGuyver this sensor -Om my
I originally was just goinf to post to document but now I'd like some thoughts if antyone cares to chime in.

I tapped a 5/16" hole and put a cap bolt on - this leaked a bit. then I used a plastic washer and seems better now. my other thoughts are:

epoxy weld to clue the hole shut? will this hold up to corosive gas?

maybe the leak is coming from the gasket -there is a rigde along the outside round edges but in the middle it is more recessed in the middle. I am not sure what it was like in the middle when the sensor was there.

Anyone?

Bueler?

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
15 May 2006 14:54 #47483 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic McGuyver this sensor -Om my
Just as an aside, I've got to admire your determination; if that had been my tank, I think I'd have dug up a tee somewhere, taken it down to the local high school field and seen if I could kick a 50 yard field goal with it...

Be that as it may, how about a judicious bead - just a titch - of some likewise-rated silicone sealer around all the mating surfaces?

Epoxies, JB Weld, and all that stuff is great except for one thing: you get one shot at it. And first-shot kills haven't been the track record with this tank yet, so why expect anything to change now?

More
15 May 2006 15:07 #47486 by guavatone
Replied by guavatone on topic McGuyver this sensor -Om my
Wellm I am actually thinking of a new tank at this point, but where...ron ayers is probably thru the roof ....ebay? I'll post another pic .

I was thinking JBweld the hole which i have no use for anymore. my questions is weather it will hold for a long time...

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
15 May 2006 17:13 #47535 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic McGuyver this sensor -Om my
Yeah, JB 'otter do it - just give it at least 24 hours to set.

Ebay, boneyards, maybe someone around here has a spare - they're all sources, just have to keep your eyes open...

More
15 May 2006 17:36 #47538 by peachc
Replied by peachc on topic McGuyver this sensor -Om my
JB Weld definately works great, just have to make sure you give it the 24 hours to cure. I have it in one of my float bowls holding the brass overflow tube together and has worked great so far(4+ momths). So I would assume it would hold just as great not being submerged in gas 24/7!:side:

More
13 Jul 2006 04:45 #61636 by oldcuda68
Replied by oldcuda68 on topic McGuyver this sensor -Om my
I just ran into the same thing late last night. I finally was ready to start the bike for the first time since I got it in pieces last fall. I rebuilt the petcock with a Motion Pro kit; bad idea. leaked big time. Then the sensor began leaking. I drained the tank and went to bed. I was thinking that JB Weld would work, and I am glad I found this thread! Going to eliminate the sensor as soon as I get the JB Weld.
As far as the petcock, I am going with one from Z1 Enterprises that has on/off/reserve. I will add to this post as soon as the parts arrive.
Mark

1980 KZ750 LTD
1984 Honda GL1200 Interstate
Too many other toys to mention

More
13 Jul 2006 19:20 #61809 by apeman
Replied by apeman on topic McGuyver this sensor -Om my
Don't presume the JBweld will work. I used it on my gas tank, cleaned down to the bare metal, pushed in the JBweld, let it cure for days in a warm, dry spot, then mounted it and filled it with gas. It lasted for a couple of months, but then the leak reappeared. On examination, it was clear that the JBweld was decomposing at one spot.
/

Petaluma and Truckee, CA -- member since Jan. 23, 2003;
PREVIOUS KZs: 1980 KZ750H with 108,000 miles; 1980 KZ750E with 28,000 miles; and KZ750H street/cafe project, all sold a few years back.

This is what I do for fun, not for work. It is art, with a little engineering thrown in.

More
18 Jul 2006 05:25 #62824 by heartless
Replied by heartless on topic McGuyver this sensor -Om my
there used to be a specific gas tank repair putty (two part mix together kind of stuff) available for cars - might try your local auto parts stores. it was similar to the jb weld stuff but meant for gas tank applications. I have used the stuff way back when and it did hold up to gas very well, but does need cure time, forget how long but should specify in the directions if you can get it.

good luck.