chrome paint

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
27 Aug 2011 12:05 #472135 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic chrome paint
Too bad the company doesn't exist still. I would have bought a bunch of that stuff. Paint on chrome is a great concept if it actually works... :whistle:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Aug 2011 19:37 #472201 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic chrome paint

DoubleDub wrote: Too bad the company doesn't exist still. I would have bought a bunch of that stuff. Paint on chrome is a great concept if it actually works... :whistle:

?? What company? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
27 Aug 2011 20:11 - 27 Aug 2011 20:15 #472204 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic chrome paint
Sioux plating,sioux city nebraska! chrome plating is not that expensive if you do you own grunt work B)
sioux plating.JPG

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
Last edit: 27 Aug 2011 20:15 by wireman.

More
27 Aug 2011 20:21 #472209 by Chaotic Reason
Replied by Chaotic Reason on topic chrome paint
Saw this on youtube:

I figure about 5 layers of 2 part clear later, and it could just last awhile. Though the way they were touching it and it not being distorted makes me think it might be pretty strong as it... Not chrome strong, but it definitely looks tougher than just painted parts.

Michael
1980 KZ1000 shaft drive

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
27 Aug 2011 20:48 #472214 by DoubleDub

650ed wrote:

DoubleDub wrote: Too bad the company doesn't exist still. I would have bought a bunch of that stuff. Paint on chrome is a great concept if it actually works... :whistle:

?? What company? Ed

The page that was linked states that they appear to be out of business. The website he mentions has no ordering info and the article suggests a couple other companies with other products.

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
27 Aug 2011 20:49 #472215 by DoubleDub
Per the linked article:

Update: Since I posted this article in July of 2010, there’s been an incredible amount of interest in Chrome Solutions. Unfortunately, the company seems to have gone out of business, since I’ve had no luck in tracking down any further information. The closest competitors I could find are Spray On Chrome and Alsa Corporation; for additional information on the products they produce, please contact the companies directly via the above links

More
27 Aug 2011 22:10 - 27 Aug 2011 22:13 #472228 by 650ed
I've never used them, but I believe there are multiple vendors.

Last edit: 27 Aug 2011 22:13 by 650ed.

More
27 Aug 2011 22:11 #472229 by 650ed

wireman wrote: Sioux plating,sioux city nebraska! chrome plating is not that expensive if you do you own grunt work B)
sioux plating.JPG

Well I don't know about that! Let's say for example that you wanted to chrome plate a whole Mercedes Benz :laugh: :

www.spraychrome.com/

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
27 Aug 2011 22:40 - 27 Aug 2011 22:42 #472230 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic chrome paint
i know it has been done before,but back in the day i wanted to paint a Z bike chrome..like a 900 or big tanked kz the round and duck tail ones......cycle world or one of the other mags used to give a bike of the year award and they would paint the bike chrome for the write up...the chromed out (painted i know) V-Max was the coolest thing i had ever seen back then and that gave me the idea to do a chrome tanked and body Z-1.....still may do bike like that one day just for kicks....always think about it when i see threads like this.....i used some ,chrome paint, auto store ,known brand, to do the grill Greg gave me for the MKII brake junction and it lasted a week or two and still looks silver-alum-tacky-plastic now kinda,needs touch up....

i mean it worked for what it was,,, 8-10 bucks and sits there full as i only needed two sprays....but it needed silver..so

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife
Last edit: 27 Aug 2011 22:42 by trianglelaguna.

• wireman
  • User
More
28 Aug 2011 01:54 #472267 by wireman

650ed wrote:

wireman wrote: Sioux plating,sioux city nebraska! chrome plating is not that expensive if you do you own grunt work B)
sioux plating.JPG

Well I don't know about that! Let's say for example that you wanted to chrome plate a whole Mercedes Benz :laugh: :

www.spraychrome.com/

start polishing! :woohoo:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• wireman
  • User
More
28 Aug 2011 02:49 #472278 by wireman

wireman wrote:

650ed wrote:

sioux plating.JPG

www.spraychrome.com/

start polishing! :woohoo:

Attachment dominicstruck.JPG not found

ive got a friend who chrome plated every other damn piece on his truck,if the tank at the plater wouldve been big enough i think he wouldve tried! :woohoo:

Attachments:

More
28 Aug 2011 15:39 #472341 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic chrome paint
There are new products out there nowadays that look just like polished Aluminum or polished nickel, Not exactly Chrome but quite close. The products are not cheap but they are something that you can do yourself. In states that Chrome Plating is no longer legal, they are good alternative. The best part is that you can use these products on ANY medium. It do not have to be metal.

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000