spray foam all over everything!

• jjdwoodman
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Live free, or die.
More
03 Jul 2011 02:06 #460708 by jjdwoodman
spray foam all over everything! was created by jjdwoodman
I came home from the jobsite this evening and both the bikes were covered in spray foam insulation! It's the same stuff as great stuff, but larger cans for professional use. It looks like in this heat one of the cans ruptured. the foam is on the chrome, the guages, carbs, brakes, keys, tires, seats, I mean everything.

Is there any safe way to get this stuff off? Lacquer thinner and lots of elbow grease will cut it to just a residue, and I'm sure I could buff the rest off the paint, but what about the seats especially?

77 650b
81 550 Mostly there
83 ZN1300 Voyager

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
03 Jul 2011 02:38 #460710 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic spray foam all over everything!
Wow, that really sucks. You may try and contact the manufacturer on Tuesday to see if there is a chemical solvent that will eat it up. That great stuff foam is pretty tenacious stuff. The only thing that I have seen will put a dent in it are Northern Rats. Good luck and let us know what does the trick. Sorry that I couldn't provide an easy answer. :sick:

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

More
03 Jul 2011 10:17 #460728 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic spray foam all over everything!
I would contact the manufacturer for instructions; you can bet they spill some from time to time and must have a way to clean it up. They should have contact info on the can. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
03 Jul 2011 10:35 #460729 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic spray foam all over everything!
So sorry....giggle yet....you will...only my luck could that one happen....i mean where is the life lsson in this one :lol:

real bummer though...i had a drop off gorilla glue on my gas cap and it was on there...i finally bit my tongue and took a razor and got under it....but i just knew i was gonna scratch my nice MKII cap ...i had tried softer things a few times and like that wicked sap on the car it was not going anywhere yet........it flaked up and was able to be scraped off...soft plastic putty knife did no good...razor and brake parts cleaner after with a shop towel...both gorilla glue and spray construction foam leave your hands black the next day if topuched for days/weeks...so they must be similar in make up.....nothing get it off your hands but scrubbing...ie....removing the layer of skin....kinda

call the number on the can?

good luck...just do a little spot at a time and see what works i bet....

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
03 Jul 2011 13:31 #460756 by peter1958
Replied by peter1958 on topic spray foam all over everything!
I use this stuff at work and have a foam gun I`LL read what it says on the can. CAUTION Contains MDI Monomer polyurethane resin & Propane/isobutane. If foam dries on skin, applly generous amounts of petroleum jelly or lanolin, put on plastc gloves and wait one hour. with a clean cloth firmly wipe off jelly and repeat. do not try to remove with sovents. Now this is for skin so id say its safe for a bike. Hope this helps.

• Proxy
  • User
  • 80% Human 20% Nuts/Bolts
More
03 Jul 2011 13:42 #460758 by Proxy
Replied by Proxy on topic spray foam all over everything!
Wow! Nothing funny about that! I used some to seal a new storm door in. I sprayed it in and watched it grow. Seemed like it was finished and I figured I'd take a ride and come back and seal it flush with some caulking. When I got back it had expanded again and was covering everything. Had to razor off everything and then tried solvent and had to sand it off. Man I don't envy you. If you find something that makes it easy please post it. It would be good info. So sorry.

Take it from me cuz I found
If you leave it then somebody else is bound,
To find that treasure, that moment of pleasure,
When yours, it could have been.
1977 KZ650 B1 Being restored to original (Green)
1977 KZ650 B1 Original (Red) Sold
1977 KZ650 B1 Donor Bike for Parts

• jjdwoodman
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Live free, or die.
More
03 Jul 2011 21:15 #460825 by jjdwoodman
Replied by jjdwoodman on topic spray foam all over everything!
The labels on the cans are faded off, but I'll call my wholesaler tomorrow. They do sell some stuff for cleaning out of the spray pistols, but I've always used acetone. Don't think that will be too great on the plastic parts though.

77 650b
81 550 Mostly there
83 ZN1300 Voyager

More
03 Jul 2011 21:22 #460828 by Russ Jackson
Replied by Russ Jackson on topic spray foam all over everything!
Do you have any pics?...Russ

1976 KZ 900 B1 29 smoothbores, Kerker, Lester Mags
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 abs

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
03 Jul 2011 23:04 - 03 Jul 2011 23:07 #460849 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic spray foam all over everything!

jjdwoodman wrote: The labels on the cans are faded off, but I'll call my wholesaler tomorrow. They do sell some stuff for cleaning out of the spray pistols, but I've always used acetone. Don't think that will be too great on the plastic parts though.

Hey JJ, Are you my brother, or what? I've got about a hundred cans of the same shiite in my shop, all out of date, but none in danger of bursting. What's the Diff? Simple Oregon's Way COOLER than California.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Oh That's right, you had a question. Sorry Guy, that SHIITE don't come off! Of that I'm sure.

Bill

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300
Last edit: 03 Jul 2011 23:07 by KZQ.

• jjdwoodman
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Live free, or die.
More
04 Jul 2011 01:45 #460874 by jjdwoodman
Replied by jjdwoodman on topic spray foam all over everything!
Oh, Bill...

Cali's got nuthin on me last week. 100+ every day with over 70% humidity here in T-Town. You guys all got me beat.

Tri's got the dry heat.
Sandy and Adam have the dry cold.
You have the dry rain...

I'm just stuck here in the arm pit of the Country!:woohoo:

77 650b
81 550 Mostly there
83 ZN1300 Voyager

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
04 Jul 2011 02:27 #460883 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic spray foam all over everything!

Proxy wrote: Wow! Nothing funny about that! I used some to seal a new storm door in. I sprayed it in and watched it grow. Seemed like it was finished and I figured I'd take a ride and come back and seal it flush with some caulking. When I got back it had expanded again and was covering everything. Had to razor off everything and then tried solvent and had to sand it off. Man I don't envy you. If you find something that makes it easy please post it. It would be good info. So sorry.

we used some of that triple expanding stuff around some new doors and windows around my uncles house when i was a kid,we ended up having to use a saws-all and a chisel to get it back out enough so we could open/close things! :woohoo: ah memories! :woohoo:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
04 Jul 2011 12:07 #460931 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic spray foam all over everything!
This is just so painful to read.... :(

So we can cringe even further into the depths of hell with fear and as a learning curve for the rest of us to hide/store out beloved's more carefully, have images of this catastrophe ?

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az