Custom KZ seat build

• Tariff
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Tariff
More
30 Jun 2011 22:24 #460366 by Tariff
Custom KZ seat build was created by Tariff
To moderators,if this is in the wrong spot,please move at your descretion.
Hello,I have a 1984 KZ700 that I bought off the showroom floor.A few years ago I was at my local motorcycle junkyard and came across a KZ seat on the ground.It may have been off a GPz,who knows.But I knew by looking at it that it would fit my bike.
The cover was shreded but the foam and pan was good.I took it to the counter and the young kid said ten bucks for the seat,I didn't argue.
Now I have decided to rework this spare seat to see if I can make it more comfortable,so that maybe my lower back can take more hours on the road.
I have bought a cover off ebay that is more like a ELR or LTD seat.And get this,it has flames stitched across it,oh yeah,real "cool".
Anyhow I also found a large gellseat pad at a yardsale for a dollar and I have this stupid memory foam pillow that never really helped my neck,so maybe it will help my ass.
I still have the stock seat,so this would just be a extra to have on hand.I have a good and sharp bread knife to slice foam,and I am looking for the correct glue.And I think I have the staple problem solved.It looks like they used quareter inch staples to attatch the cover at the factory.
Well I can post photos of the process if you guys want to see them.
Just tell Tariff.
Thanks!

1984 KZ700A1 Sports
1977 Triumph T140 "Bonnie 750"
1975 Honda CB400f "SS"
and others...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
09 Jul 2011 12:37 - 09 Jul 2011 12:44 #461872 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Custom KZ seat build
i cut a section of foam out of my zrx seat with a router. then i cut a gell pad to shape and dropped it into the cut out. i have found that it is much more comfy.i used no glue.

Attachment 07_2010_kz_zrx_seat_009_1__1_.jpg not found

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Jul 2011 12:44 by mark1122.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.