Restoring faded plastics

More
13 Jun 2011 10:57 #456974 by Archiddeon
Restoring faded plastics was created by Archiddeon
We all know that exposed plastic parts fade over time ... the instrument panel, switches, etc. ... becoming grey or white.

I'd like to know if there're any tips or tricks for restoring the colour of these faded parts ... other than painting them (which may work for some parts, but will just wear off on switches and such like).

Thanks! :laugh:

1983 GPz 550
1985 Honda CH150 Scooter
1995 Suzuki GS500E

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
13 Jun 2011 11:13 #456977 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic Restoring faded plastics
"Back to Black" works pretty well on faded black and dark gray plastic stuff.Have to keep applying it as it will wash /fade off after awhile.

• RussellP
  • User
  • Never stop learning
More
15 Jun 2011 09:11 #457388 by RussellP
Replied by RussellP on topic Restoring faded plastics
Found a "recipe" on Yahoo Answers for this problem using linseed oil and methylated spirits.

I used this on my switchblocks in a ratio of 2 parts linseed to 1 part methylated. Brush onto parts, let it soak in for a day or two, wipe off and repeat over time (I did mine for two weeks). Unlike paint, it seems the plastic absorbs the mix and brings back the colour.

See attached before and after photos of my restored switchblock (Z1A)

Cheers
Attachments:

More
15 Jun 2011 10:20 #457392 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Restoring faded plastics

RussellP wrote: Found a "recipe" on Yahoo Answers for this problem using linseed oil and methylated spirits.

I used this on my switchblocks in a ratio of 2 parts linseed to 1 part methylated. Brush onto parts, let it soak in for a day or two, wipe off and repeat over time (I did mine for two weeks). Unlike paint, it seems the plastic absorbs the mix and brings back the colour.

Cheers

What am I missing here? That housing is metal not plastic. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
15 Jun 2011 10:39 - 15 Jun 2011 10:41 #457397 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic Restoring faded plastics

650ed wrote: What am I missing here? That housing is metal not plastic. Ed

+1

Anyway.....for PLASTIC you can use a product called MX Plastic Restore or something like that. I used it on the BUTTON of my switch housings. Some guys have had luck with Mop & Glow on plastics too. They are all temporary fixes, just like polishing aluminum, it will dull over time.

BTW - I've restored switch housings too if you need tips/photos of that. ;)

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125
Last edit: 15 Jun 2011 10:41 by Kidkawie.

More
15 Jun 2011 11:13 #457403 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Restoring faded plastics
Actually, I've had reasonably good luck re-capturing the 'black' in plastics just using ArmorAll. However, as has been mentioned by KidKawie, the process has to be repeated every so often. :)

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
15 Jun 2011 14:16 #457420 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic Restoring faded plastics

RussellP wrote: Found a "recipe" on Yahoo Answers for this problem using linseed oil and methylated spirits.

Cheers

It's a revelation! A miracle! you forgot to take the tag off :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

More
15 Jun 2011 19:21 #457473 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Restoring faded plastics

z1kzonly wrote:

Cheers

It's a revelation! A miracle! you forgot to take the tag off :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I found that 12 year old Balvenie single malt Scotch works well too. I tried some while just looking at the car in the first picture below and before I finished the second helping it looked like the car in the second picture below. Of course the next morning it changed back somehow. :unsure:

Attachment 57chevy1.jpg not found

Attachment 57Chevy2.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

• RussellP
  • User
  • Never stop learning
More
15 Jun 2011 19:36 #457476 by RussellP
Replied by RussellP on topic Restoring faded plastics
650Ed,

Sincere apologies if you were mislead - the whole switchblocks were shown just to show what the before and after results were. Take a look at the kill switch for a plastic restoration result.

I believe the kill switch and light switch are plastic, unless you know something I don't.

More
15 Jun 2011 19:37 #457478 by Archiddeon
Replied by Archiddeon on topic Restoring faded plastics
Pity the Scotch effect is only temporary ;)

It seems the general idea is that old plastics can be temporarily restored with some form of oil or wax ... but as it wears off / washes out / dries up, the faded plastic becomes apparent again.

Still, worth a shot to see which works best :D

Thanks all!

1983 GPz 550
1985 Honda CH150 Scooter
1995 Suzuki GS500E