Anyone repaint a 78 Z1R?

• mainevent360
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Jun 2011 19:27 #456705 by mainevent360
Anyone repaint a 78 Z1R? was created by mainevent360
I'm going to buy paint for my 78 Z1R as part of my rebuild to get it back to it's original condition. The previous owner painted it black so I don't have a body part to color match.

Wondering if anyone has painted one, and if so what you used for color, since Kawasaki never released the paint code for the bike. It's the Metallic Stardust Silver I'm looking for, or the closest thing to it.

Thanks for any help!!

78 KZ1000-D Z1R

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jun 2011 06:23 #456956 by PaintWorkz
Replied by PaintWorkz on topic Anyone repaint a 78 Z1R?
If you carefully wet sand the black off a flat area on one of the parts you could find the original paint under the repaint. Shine up the original color with polishing compound or spray with clear. Have a paint supply store computer match it. You will only get something close.

This will only work on the Z1R since it is not a Candy color. Most 70's Kawasakis were Candy colors and the computer will not give you a correct match.

www.paintworkz.com

84 Gpz900 street
77 KZ 1325 Turbo Dragbike project
79 CBX Pro Stock projects (2)
78 Z1R-TC AMA & ECTA LSR record holder
68 750 Enfield Brat project
82 750 Nourish Triumph LSR
Lake Havasu City, AZ

• mainevent360
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Jun 2011 14:13 #457009 by mainevent360
Replied by mainevent360 on topic Anyone repaint a 78 Z1R?
Thanks for the tip. I know from exchanging emails with you that you do supply the correct original paint color for the bike. Budget is getting tight on this bike and still a few key components to purchase.

One area I know I can save on is paint. We just took on a new paint supplier at work and he offered my bike paint for free...oh the benefits of having vendors try to buy your business! :P

Of course, ideally I would like to have the exact match, so if I can muster up the cash you'll be seeing my order.

78 KZ1000-D Z1R

More
13 Jun 2011 16:31 #457036 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic Anyone repaint a 78 Z1R?
I painted my bike , temporarily, for about $50. Details are in my build thread. In a nutshell: I wet sanded all the parts, finished with duplicolor paint close to original, then cleared it with a 2 part aerosol clear coat, wet sanded with 2000 to knock down the peel and polished with a buffer.

The plan was to get it repainted properly by Paintworkz when I had the budget, I just wanted to finish the bike so I could ride it for now.

Here's the clear coat, one can did my bike but could really use 1 1/2 cans: www.repaintsupply.com/pd_2_part_2k_aerosol.cfm

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125