Side cover mounting bracket?

• racer54
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
28 May 2011 14:31 #454011 by racer54
Side cover mounting bracket? was created by racer54
I am looking at changing the side covers on my bike. It is a 1980 LTD but many, many years ago I started using Z1R side covers instead of the original covers. Well...those Z1R side covers are history from damage and want to use the stock covers. On the right side, I don't have the bracket to mount the lower tab into. It looks to be a bolt on bracket. I have one off a 1979 LTD but it doesn't work. Parts diagram lists the 79/80 as using the same part but the 79 part doesn't work on the 80. It puts the grommet hole about an inch too low. Does anyone have an 1980 LTD that they could post a pic of the mounting for the lower tab on right side? I looked in a parts diagram and can't tell what it looks like. Doesn't list a bracket for the side cover but it looks like there is a bracket that bolts to top of brake m/c frame mount but can't tell if that is the cover mount or not. Would appreciate if you can help.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jun 2011 19:07 #454830 by Zedone
Replied by Zedone on topic Side cover mounting bracket?
Not sure if this helps or not but, I bought a set of stock side covers on e-bay 1976 900 LTD and they are identical as the 1977 KZ1000A1 in appearance but the lower pin on the right side cover is off by @ 1" or so. Not too much of a problem though, I'll just make my own bracket when I get around to it. I had no idea that Kawasaki changed that pin location between the LTD & KZ. Doug

1977 KZ1000A1
1977 KZ1000A1 (Superbike Project)
1969 Chevrolet C/10 Short Fleet

• racer54
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
01 Jun 2011 19:39 #454837 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Side cover mounting bracket?
That might be what I'm looking at. Kawasaki changed the mounting tab location just a little. Didn't think about that. Will have to try a couple different sets I have to see if any fit. Don't think it would be hard to make a bracket to make covers work but curious what the deal is now. If anyone has a 80 LTD, I would still like to see what it looks like in the bottom tab mounting area though.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
02 Jun 2011 00:49 #454901 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Side cover mounting bracket?
which battery box are you using? ill look friday if it quits raining B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• racer54
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
02 Jun 2011 19:15 #455026 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Side cover mounting bracket?
Using the stock 1980 LTD battery box.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
02 Jun 2011 19:25 #455028 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Side cover mounting bracket?
its been raining every night/morning around here so its been like the okie finokie swamp,ill try and get to barn saturday when i go down there to do my bi-annual mowing of back 40! :sick: :woohoo:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.