Questions, questions, too many questions!

• Killman
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Now with 99% more ducks
More
20 Apr 2011 16:02 - 20 Apr 2011 16:12 #445849 by Killman
So I've gots me a 1982 Kz440Ltd D.She's long on VROOM, but short on looks and creature comforts.

I'm gonna change that.:woohoo:
Gots me some spiffy used parts on the way from the magical land of Ebay. Gots me some questions too, being a complete and total newb to this stuff.:blink:
So here goes...

Speedo from a 1980 Kz440:
My speedo hasn't worked in a coon's age. The mechanic, that I had give this bike an overhaul when I bought her, showed me that the cable still actuates, so it's time to replace the guage. I figure the extra 12k on this thing's odo is about fair. Any nasty little surprises to replacing a speedo that I should know about?

Low backrest from a 1980 Kz400H:
Looking to use my little gem for lots of camping and fishing type rides this summer. So the luggage rack is a must, (pretty sure the gf's gonna thank me for the backrest too;) ). From what I've been able to suss out, the smaller 1980-83 Kz models are pretty forgiving when it comes to compatibility of parts. Hoping this thing will fit?
There's a fair bit of rust on the luggage rack. Now my cure for rust is to soak it in vinegar, surface rust usually wipes right off after that. Is this going to screw up the metal/aluminum, especially if there's still some sort of finish under the crud? Any better ideas?
Any advice on sourcing out a new backrest pad?

Engine guards from a 1982 Kz440 A3 Ltd:
I've seen a couple of posts referring to these things folding over, but I haven't found any highway bars and these were available and somewhat affordable. Thinking they'll do until I can find something better. I want something down there to protect the pretty bits, (for when I get some prettier bits) as I've already inherited a pretty sizeable ding from the PO. At least he was nice enough to cover it up with a kinda hack matte-black paint job.

Which leads me to...
The pretty sizeable ding in my fuel tank. I've got it from a couple of semi-reliable sources that I can get the tank pressurized to pop out the dent. Is this a story that Mothers tell Kz owners to get them to stop crying and go to sleep, or is there a chance it's legit? I'd also like to get a period-correct paint job back on this baby again. Glossy black with some stripey-type stuff would be fairly satisfying. Any ideas on how to go about it without sending myself rocketing to the poor house?

I've got some other ideas in the works, (wind-screen, lighting upgrades, etc.) but I think I've bored ALL of us enough for one session. I appreciate any input.
Thanks, and happy trails B)

1983 kz440 ltd
Quack
Last edit: 20 Apr 2011 16:12 by Killman.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
20 Apr 2011 18:13 #445886 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Questions, questions, too many questions!

Killman wrote: Any nasty little surprises to replacing a speedo that I should know about?

No, not really. Hook it up, thats it.

Vinegar/rust soak... Is this going to screw up the metal/aluminum, especially if there's still some sort of finish under the crud? Any better ideas?
Any advice on sourcing out a new backrest pad?

No. I like paint or a re-chroming service. Anywhere would be my guess on the backrest pad, maybe ebay.

Any ideas on how to go about it without sending myself rocketing to the poor house?

Can be pressurized out, but most would just use a suction cup like the shop. You would probly be better off taking it to a shop anyways for that and the paint job.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

• Killman
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Now with 99% more ducks
More
21 Apr 2011 18:14 - 21 Apr 2011 18:18 #446120 by Killman
Replied by Killman on topic Questions, questions, too many questions!
I thank you for your kind reply!

Interesting new hobby I've got here. I'm learning so very many new things, why just this afternoon I learned that I've been farkling away without even knowing it! Who knew?
Think my gf's gonna hit me over the head with a wrench soon...

I got some kinda/sorta news today. Didn't get the crash bars I'd ordered from ebay. Turns out the seller won't ship to Canada. Not too busted up though, they weren't exactly what I was looking for anyways. There's a set of highway bars, with pegs, up for a 78 kz400 right now. But I'm not sure if they'll fit.:blink:

Got a pretty decent queue of shiny new toys to order after payday as well, (euro bars, mirrors, Spitfire-6, new grips and just maybe some pretty new badges for the gas tank... maybe). Gonna be fun figuring out the master cylinder and clutch cable.:)

Totally torn over paintjob though. Not sure whether I want to go with blue w/gold striping, black w/red striping, or God knows what else. I'm seeing retro decal kits floating around, are they a better option than paint for detail?

KZR is a great place to check reviews and opinions on product. Nice to be able to make informed decisions. Thanks to y'all.

1983 kz440 ltd
Quack
Last edit: 21 Apr 2011 18:18 by Killman.

More
21 Apr 2011 18:22 #446122 by polarbear
Replied by polarbear on topic Questions, questions, too many questions!
You know, I'm not sure where you are, but you may be able to find a used bike place (such as Bent Bikes out here in BC) where you can find bins of parts for those parts and avoid problems related to shipping from the USA. They made a lot of these bikes and there are lots of parts available (relatively speaking).
Good luck!
C