prepping and painting plastics

• Stu Pidasole
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • if you aint mod'n, you aint rock'n!
More
14 Apr 2011 19:38 #444633 by Stu Pidasole
prepping and painting plastics was created by Stu Pidasole
hey guys. wheres adam, josh, and the other paint gurus? i want to start prepping my side covers and tail. basically the plastics on my bike. the tank will the same color, but ill get to that later/last.

heres the catch. on my right side cover the top left tab was hitting my subframe support. so i cut it off and will fiberglass a inch or 2 down the inside edge. i should be fine, since i have used fiberglass/resin on front ends of my 68 camaro, and have made many surf board repairs.

so for now i would like to like to prep the pieces. should i take all the paint off, or just lightly sand? start with 120, or 220 and work my way up to 1200 wet sand? also, there are a few low spots on the outside of the covers. should i use fiberglass, or just a little bondo and sand?

as you can see i have quit a few questions. any help is appreciated. thanks, joe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2011 21:35 #444663 by Kraz1
Replied by Kraz1 on topic prepping and painting plastics
Click---> DT

Courtesy of your Moderator Tony---> Paint 101

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
14 Apr 2011 23:30 - 14 Apr 2011 23:36 #444686 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic prepping and painting plastics
I asked around about this too. some say adhesion promoter is necessary some say its not.
i emailed my putty supplier and they said no, so i put my spot repair putty right on the bare plastic. and my paint supplier said to put the primer right over it to.
1200 is way too fine. most guys say u cant see scratches from 400 the picky guys go to 600.
i just finished my base coat and clear today. no scratches showing. i used 400 wet.
as for strip or sand? i think it depends on whats on it and whats going on it. if the new doesnt like the old u will be stripping anyways.
i am no pro . this is my 1st paint job.
tomorrow i will add a silver base ct then texture the silver before it dries then candy red over that, then more clear. at least thats plan A lol.

Attachment kzpaint004.jpg not found

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 Apr 2011 23:36 by mark1122.

More
14 Apr 2011 23:52 #444692 by rich67
Replied by rich67 on topic prepping and painting plastics
Very Nice!!!!