opinions on original paint

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
07 Apr 2011 22:26 #443334 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic opinions on original paint

531blackbanshee wrote: is that your bike gane?
wowzers :woohoo: !

that thing is perfect,i really like this bike.

leon

TITS

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
More
07 Apr 2011 22:34 #443339 by trianglelaguna
i am gonna do the same on a body set i have...i hope...the stripes are not for sale in a decal kit like they are for the MKII blue or red bikes..the body can be painted gold ,pinstripes taped off, shot in the black and the tape removed, then clear....at least that is the short version and sure way to resto look it...do you have a tank with the original locations...side cover...tail piece , with the stripes....i have a beat set with A-4 black and gold, and another set to do the painting on

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
07 Apr 2011 23:01 - 07 Apr 2011 23:12 #443349 by gane
Replied by gane on topic opinions on original paint
Tri, That "may" work, But, my experiance (limited) is that unless the top coat (over mask) is extreemly light you lose the sharp contrast of tape, & any "holidays" or imperfections of mask become apparent. Also, the depth of paint could be greater than that of the stripe. If you "go the route" please post, As I'm always eager to learn/improve my skills. Luck G P.S. In my efforts to reproduce stock "striping" I simply sourced Ebay for original sales brochures & Eyeballed from pic's. the problem with trying to reproduce even from original is there are few "solid" reference points to measure from.. pehaps with todays sophisticated programs it's possible to copy & overlay, but beyond my abilitys. again luck G

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1
Last edit: 07 Apr 2011 23:12 by gane.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
More
07 Apr 2011 23:09 #443354 by trianglelaguna
i am just parroting things i have been told when daydreaming my extra sets...i bet you could be walked through it..i know i will have to be from primer/sand blocking to each layer......i wont attempt this in 2011...i would like to be painting by next spring......i have three bikes to move forward at present ...but it is a goal...it was told to me that it is a sure way to do it by someone who is for sure in the know...

great friggin bike....

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
07 Apr 2011 23:58 #443367 by gane
Replied by gane on topic opinions on original paint
Tri, 1st Thanks, 2nd, & more important, I can not over emphasize the importance of using the "latest" & highest quality Filler's,Bonders,Primer you can find.... and in all cases, use as little as you can. Thru the years I've managed to aquire a "feel" for spitting "color" and have learned to "wait & read" flow & cure. Unfortunatly, without exception, ALL of my paint jobs are flawed. some become apparent in months, others were fine for like 5 years before filled areas showed thru. I have a "fairly" early sandcast cb750 set which has been sitting in "prime" in an East looking window for 2 years now, In the hopes a "pro" will be able to "blow" a lasting "quality" paint job on. I could be wrong, But am hoping age & curing will provide the base for a paint job that stands the test of time. G

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

More
19 Apr 2011 22:57 #445721 by jvette65
Replied by jvette65 on topic opinions on original paint
check out my mkII the gold is cool!