How do i do Matte Black?

• Kitten Tooth
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 Nov 2010 06:16 #411602 by Kitten Tooth
How do i do Matte Black? was created by Kitten Tooth
Im starting on over-hauling my 81' KZ1000LTD. Aside from the mechanical issues, my bike looks like a mistreated, beaten monster that needs some love:D Paint will be necessary this winter. I tried to do a matte black paintjob before but i kinda effed it off after the 2 coats of primer.. How can i do a matte black paint job without gas eating it, or rubbing off and getting all rusty? Im going to bondo the dents and sand so the tank will look brand new after the paint.. Powder coating is probably not an option because i dont have the money. Can you guys help me out?

Thanks guys,
KT

1981 Kawasaki KZ1000-K LTD
1983 Suzuki GS300L-D
1982 Suzuki GS300L-Z sold:(
1976 KZ400D3
1973 Z900... I WISH

DO A BARREL ROLL!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
08 Nov 2010 06:47 #411606 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic How do i do Matte Black?
As I'm only familiar with Eastwood's product lineup, I know they offer a matte/satin black and clear coat "Rat Rod" paint. I don't remember exactly what it's called, but the black and clear are paired together to keep the gloss down.

More
08 Nov 2010 06:53 #411608 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic How do i do Matte Black?
Is the Eastwood stuff a 2-part fuel proof paint?

You could try searching for 2K clear - it comes in a special can & is fuel proof... and pricy. I've seen it in gloss & satin clear.... not sure if the 2k stuff comes in colors.

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
08 Nov 2010 06:58 #411609 by DoubleDub
Yes, the one I'm referencing (and the normal gloss clear) are both two-part urethane products.

www.eastwood.com/rat-rod-black-2k-urethane-qt-w-activator.html

www.eastwood.com/ew-rat-rod-satin-clear-ouart-kit.html

More
08 Nov 2010 07:27 - 08 Nov 2010 07:31 #411612 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic How do i do Matte Black?
Reportedly, the two-part clear may provide a fuel proof finish, even with the rattle can version. Am uncertain whether it's available in matte finish (rattle can or otherwise).

:unsure: Has anyone experimented with the one part rattle can model plane clear spray that's supposed to be fuel proof?
If lacquer based, may take great care not to lift the color coat when spraying over it.

hobby-shack.amazonwebstore.com/Top-Flite...c&utm_source=froogle

The old days offered a simple choice between enamel and lacquer.
But there are so many different paint formulas out there nowadays, need a pro's advice to keep up with them (enamels, lacquers, acrylic, urethane, imron, etc., on and on.)
And that's only for the metal finishing products, never mind the latex and water based formulas. :lol:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 08 Nov 2010 07:31 by Patton.

More
08 Nov 2010 07:50 - 22 Jan 2013 01:29 #411614 by H1Vindicator
Replied by H1Vindicator on topic How do i do Matte Black?

Last edit: 22 Jan 2013 01:29 by H1Vindicator.

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
08 Nov 2010 08:01 #411616 by DoubleDub
These aren't rattle cans. If rattle is required, I'm not sure there is a matte/satin two-part rattle clear product.

I have used these clears (in the high solid gloss form) and it is very durable to fuel.

More
08 Nov 2010 08:05 - 08 Nov 2010 08:11 #411617 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic How do i do Matte Black?
I used the 2K rattle can on my Z1 body, goes on great. If you want a matte finish, just spray your tank/body with Duplicolor black, then clear it with the 2K rattle can ($17 per can), you'll get some orange peel but that's ok because you can wet sand with 2000 to remove the peel and give your black a matte finish.

I used one can of clear for my bike, but would have liked another 1/2 a can so I didn't have to worry about sanding through removing the peel. So buy 2.

www.repaintsupply.com/pd_2_part_2k_aerosol.cfm

After the 2000 you'll wind up with something like this:

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125
Last edit: 08 Nov 2010 08:11 by Kidkawie.

More
08 Nov 2010 08:31 #411621 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic How do i do Matte Black?
From the net ---

Glow engines cannot be operated with the same gasoline you’d get at a filling station pump. They require a special fuel, called “glow fuel.” It contains methanol as the base, with varying amounts of nitromethane to increase the energy that the fuel can provide. Oil, pre-mixed into the fuel, lubricates and protects your tiny engine as it pounds out amazing power.

As noted by H1Vindicator, am also wondering whether model plane fuel would be more or less aggressive toward a painted finish, compared to gasoline.
And whether additions to gasoline such as ethanol blends might increase aggressiveness of the fuel toward a painted finish.

The original stock paint on my Z1 and KZ900 fuel tanks has suffered accidental gasoline drips after being filled. :pinch: Promptly wiped dry (after mild oath) with no ill effects.
Always kept well polished and waxed, neither original stock tank shows any sign of ever having any gasoline dripped onto it. Don't know what the factory used, but it's proved itself against gasoline. :cheer:

Brake fluid should also be immediately wiped off. And if desired the area may be doused with common household rubbing alcohol to rinse away any brake fluid residual.
Would imagine the alcohol removes wax, so re-wax.

An inexpensive plastic bottle of household rubbing alcohol fitted with a common hand pump sprayer is a handy item to have in the workshop.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
08 Nov 2010 08:33 #411623 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic How do i do Matte Black?
Kitten Tooth wrote:

Im starting on over-hauling my 81' KZ1000LTD. Aside from the mechanical issues, my bike looks like a mistreated, beaten monster that needs some love:D Paint will be necessary this winter. I tried to do a matte black paintjob before but i kinda effed it off after the 2 coats of primer.. How can i do a matte black paint job without gas eating it, or rubbing off and getting all rusty? Im going to bondo the dents and sand so the tank will look brand new after the paint.. Powder coating is probably not an option because i dont have the money. Can you guys help me out?

Thanks guys,
KT

100% what I would do!
"TransStar" 2K epoxy, primer sealer! 50/50 mixture.
It is the best stuff I ever used. They have a black that is flat to satin look. Would be perfect.
Simple to use, quart primer, quart activator about 40 bucks.
Need a real spray gun, cleans up with laquer thinner.
It smells God awful when spraying.
This is shop grade stuff.

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

More
09 Nov 2010 02:35 #411782 by rick55fla
Replied by rick55fla on topic How do i do Matte Black?
We used John Deere Blitz Black on the body of my 55 Chevy Gasser.
It comes out, not flat , but not as shiny as satin. It's what lots of Drag Racers used to give the "Murdered Out" look.

It is Xylene based and only like $15 a quart.
It sprays good out of a $14 HVLP gravity gun I bought at Harbour Freight.

Like with any paint, numerous thin coats, rather than one heavy coat.

1980 1000 LTD B4

More
09 Nov 2010 04:54 #411795 by 78kztwin
Replied by 78kztwin on topic How do i do Matte Black?
I had a 98 vulcan I stripped down and used high heat bbq grill paint on body and motor parts, four years without any problem...touched it up once.

78 kz 750 twin work in progress