Painting/powdercoating Wheels?

More
19 Apr 2006 08:18 #40833 by MattBlack
Painting/powdercoating Wheels? was created by MattBlack
Hi guys,

I'm thinking about painting my spoked wheels black. I'm just curious if anyone has done this and how the paint held up? I'd like a paint that will hold up to chips of course. (Maybe a rock guard or even bedliner stuff might work and look really badass ;) ) I was also wondering if powdercoating was an option and if I could powdercoat the wheel without having to remove all the spokes?

The chrome on the wheel is in good shape, but the spokes are nasty. I'd actually prefer to remove the spokes, paint them separately and then re-lace the wheel, but that sounds like a daunting task. Anyone ever done that?

I don't really feel like sanding and polishing every spoke on the wheel, so painting them was my other option. Besides, with where I'm heading with the colour scheme on this bike, an all black spoked wheel, or even a black spoke/chrome rim will look awesome.

Thoughts? Sugestions?

Post edited by: MattBlack, at: 2006/04/19 11:19

Post edited by: MattBlack, at: 2006/04/19 11:38

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2006 16:01 #40901 by KzJim
Replied by KzJim on topic Painting/powdercoating Wheels?
If you want the whole wheel one color, you can have it powder coated... if you want just the hoop done.. it will have to come apart. i did some Kawi MX hoops not too long ago.. i know a guy that will unlace and lace a set of wheels for $100. IF.. and thats a BIG IF, i get my other PC back from the shop, and all my stuff is still there, ill post some pics of the hoops..

Naiveté in grownups is often charming, but when coupled with vanity, it is indistinguishable from stupidity.
Tis better to remain silent and thought a fool - than to speak up and remove all doubt.
Did ever think that maybe you've been doing it wrong all these years?

More
25 May 2007 08:58 #143390 by henrymski
Replied by henrymski on topic Painting/powdercoating Wheels?
If your spokes are nasty, it doesn't really matter what you do with them. You are still going to have to sand them up and get all that rust off. Buying new spokes or leaving them alone are the only two ways to avoid sanding them.

I would not use bedliner material or other stuff like that as it will be too thick, and will add a boatload of unsprung weight that will most likely unbalance the wheel.

More
25 May 2007 17:56 #143510 by kawtoy
Replied by kawtoy on topic Painting/powdercoating Wheels?
If you powdercoat the spokes and all as one piece, you will not be able to adjust the spokes.

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.