• ed spangler
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Tennessee Z
More
16 Oct 2010 15:54 #407065 by ed spangler
Windshield was created by ed spangler
Hello KZR Folks!
I have a '75 Z1-B 900. Stock handlebars ,tank etc. Thinking about getting a windshield so I could ride a little more in the cold weather. Don't think I want to get into a complete "Fairing", maybe a universal fit windshield sort of thing?
When looking for one I have noticed there are MANY different kinds / brands , many different types, problem I have is determining what would actually fit my bike, not cost a fortune and provide some frontal wind protection and maybe come out and cover the hands a little.
Has anyone had a good experience with a particular brand and was there a minimum of modification / fabrication involved? Anyone have any pics of a type they have used and been pleased with?
Appreciate any helpfull thoughts and sugesstions.
Regards
ED

Have 1975 Kawasaki Z1-B & 2003 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic
Had Hondas, Harleys and many ,many Z Series Kaws both Std. & LTD's

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Oct 2010 18:16 #407082 by Galactica
Replied by Galactica on topic Windshield
Try "Memphis Shades". They make nice stuff.

Make sure it is tall enough. You should be able to see the horizon just over the top of the shield. Any shorter and you will get a lot of wind buffeting around your helmet. Any taller and you get a lot of wind resistance and vision impairment.

To get an idea of the proper height, get some one to hold a tape measure vertically from your head lamp, while you sit on you bike, and read the proper measurement. Then find a model you like, and order the appropriate size.

Good Luck,

R

77KZ1000
76 KZ900

More
17 Oct 2010 15:15 #407248 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Windshield
Slipstreamer Turbo for local area running around, National Cycle Plexi-fairing III for long distance riding in cool weather. Both are easy to put on and take off.

KD9JUR

• ed spangler
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Tennessee Z
More
19 Oct 2010 07:42 #407572 by ed spangler
Replied by ed spangler on topic Windshield
Thanks Steell
I also recieved some advice on checking with Memphis Shades and how to for measuring for correct height, I assume when we measure from headlight, that means top of "Headlight shell"? These are universal type mounts?
I have e-mailed both sites you recommended and asked for pictures and cost info. as well as looked at Memphis Shades site, I am thinking the Slipstreamer Turbo may be what I want since it looks ( from what I can tell from pics I think is it) to also cover part of the hands and ..............the cost maybe what I am looking for
( Less than $250.00)Have you persoanl experience with either of these?
Thanks Again!!

• ed spangler
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Tennessee Z
More
19 Oct 2010 07:48 #407574 by ed spangler
Thanks Galactica
I have looked at Memphis Shades site.WOW! Lots of colors , types, almost gives me a headache trying to figure out which one / what would work best on my bike!!
Can you ( Please be a little more specific on how to measure for correct height?) I think someone told me to measure from top of headlite shell to just below the Bridge of nose while sitting on the bike? In other words as I understand it just below the eyes. Do these have any adjustment?
Thanks Again!!
ED

More
19 Oct 2010 19:41 #407662 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Windshield
With any of these after market motorcycle windshields, it's dangerous to exceed the posted highway speed limit.

Virtually all are considered "barn doors."

Think guillotine.

Here's a pic of the National Cycle Plexi Glass 3 windshield.
Note the lower extensions adding increased protection.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

• ed spangler
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Tennessee Z
More
20 Oct 2010 03:48 #407704 by ed spangler
Thanks Patton
"Barn-Door"? Sorry Patton, that's one I am not familiar with?
Guillotine, yep, thats French best I remember for losing your head.
I am 60 Y.O. Patton and do not go fast ( Alright , maybe once in a great while for just a bit) anymore, got that out of my system when I started riding motorcycles back in '73.
Fortunately I survived, too old to push my luck anymore, The reason I thought about the fairing is the last KZ I owned was actually an LTD with full fairing and while I missed the wind in the face, now I prefer to do without the "Buffeting effect" most of the time,
I think from looking at the pic you sent, would not be too difficult to remove it if I wanted to ride with out it.
Thanks For your "Sage-Advice" Patton. I do appreciate your Help!!
Regards
ED

More
20 Oct 2010 14:07 #407797 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Windshield
ed spangler wrote:

..."Barn-Door"...not familiar with....

Meaning with regard to wind resistance, being about as aerodynamic as a barn door.

The only faring I ever used with almost no buffeting was a Vetter frame mounted faring (without lowers) that kept a still pocket of air behind the faring at virtually any speed up to 100 mph. Could probably light and smoke a cigarette while riding. Passenger was once drinking vodka from an open cup at 60 mph and happened to get the cup into the air stream -- whoosh, instant empty cup. :laugh:

At highway speed in the rain, helmet and jacket hardly get wet behind the Vetter faring.

On a hot day, the Vetter was uncomfortable without any airflow. Some models have vents that open and close, but also rattle.

When first using a windshield or faring, the engine noise is very pronounced, but something you grow accustomed to.

Have tried a half dozen different style handlebar mount and fork mount windshields, adjusted at every conceivable angle and height. And all of them allowed some degree of buffeting, some worse than others. But they are welcome in cooler weather, rain and bugs.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD