Paint for the engine?

More
06 Oct 2010 08:21 #404456 by Oliver
Replied by Oliver on topic Paint for the engine?
[/quote]what about the people who dont want a black engine? imo the bare aluminum look is the sexiest look for a bike motor. once the painted engine is cleaned and bare aluminum, how can you protect it from oil, grease, and the elements?[/quote]

I use a local machine shop to blast clean my engines. once they are on the bike I just make sure I keep it clean right after rain or if it gets to dirty, also keep an eye out for oil leaks. other than that I don't use anything on the engine.
Just keep on top of the grease and the dirt wont stick or discolor the casting.

Things I currently own
1983 kz550ltd owned 10 years
1982 kz1100a2 just bought as winter project
1967 vw beetle 1775cc first car owned 25 years

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kz1k
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
06 Oct 2010 08:23 #404457 by kz1k
Replied by kz1k on topic Paint for the engine?
Oliver wrote:

what about the people who dont want a black engine? imo the bare aluminum look is the sexiest look for a bike motor. once the painted engine is cleaned and bare aluminum, how can you protect it from oil, grease, and the elements?[/quote]

I use a local machine shop to blast clean my engines. once they are on the bike I just make sure I keep it clean right after rain or if it gets to dirty, also keep an eye out for oil leaks. other than that I don't use anything on the engine.
Just keep on top of the grease and the dirt wont stick or discolor the casting.[/quote]cool. thanks

1978 KZ1000A2

"JUST IN! A MAN WHO HOLDS THE WORLD RECORD FOR USING THE MOST DRUGS DIES TODAY. HE WAS WAS ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS HE THOUGHT HE SAW"

WHY FART AND WASTE IT, WHEN YOU CAN BURP AND TASTE IT?

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
06 Oct 2010 08:40 #404463 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic Paint for the engine?
VHT has an "aluma - blast" paint that looks like fresh sand blasted aluminum. 1500 degree.

The perfect scenerio would be a total dis-assembly of the engine.
Hot tanked, then media blasted with a semi-course blast.

Cleaned then painted. Then baked in an oven for a couple of hours at 300 or 400 degrees. Do 1/2 a case at a time.
Then the jugs and head. Then slowly cooled.

Then your done!

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!